Heightfield Operators

Started by reck, March 29, 2008, 05:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

Have the problems with the heightfield operators, make river, erode etc, been fixed in the upcoming beta?

lightning

what exactly is your problem?

reck

Hey Lightning,

At the moment if you want to carve a river into your heightfield using the river operator you basically have to use Notepad to copy the values over to TG. If you try and type the figures directly into TG it re-calculates everytime you enter a figure, so if you want to enter 4000 if recalcs 4 times, or you have to hit cancel 4 times. It's been like this since release and I was wondering if this problem had now been resolved.

As far as I can tell the river tool seems to work quite well, it just needs to stop auto autodating. I got some quite nice results yesterday with it but it was painful to use.

On a serpate note I wonder if they fixed the rock object as well, that's another thing thats basically broken.

Cyber-Angel

Reck,

The Create-River node is highly experimental so it has been explained in the past, it is my understanding that the continuous auto-updating bug is some thing that is well known to the developers but I have no idea what the current state of play is with that is at this time.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

reck

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on March 30, 2008, 07:07:53 AM
Reck,

The Create-River node is highly experimental so it has been explained in the past

Yeah I know that, we are using a beta version of the software so its to be expected that experimental and/or buggy code will still be in. I'm talking about the final tested release. By that stage the code should be relaible and solid and quicks and bugs should have been fixed. My enquiry was to to get confirmation that the auto-updating bug and rock object bug have been fixed, that is all.

dandelO

A drawn out way of carving a river can be done by unplugging the make river operator from the network and plugging it back in when all your new values are input. It'll only calculate once that way, of course you won't see the result until it's plugged back in but it's quicker in the long run.

Matt

Hi Reck,

We haven't fixed those problems yet, but it should be possible either for final 2.0 release or in an update soon afterwards. For now, I would recommend dandelO's suggestion of temporarily disconnecting the operator in the network view while editing parameters.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

reck

Hi Matt,

I appreciate the response.

I remember playing with the river operator last year when I first got hold of the beta and then forgot about it until last week when I decided to have another go with it. I'd not heard anything on the forums about the auto-update bug for a long time which is why I asked what was happening with it.

Regards

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: dandelO on March 30, 2008, 09:23:55 AM
A drawn out way of carving a river can be done by unplugging the make river operator from the network and plugging it back in when all your new values are input. It'll only calculate once that way, of course you won't see the result until it's plugged back in but it's quicker in the long run.

Wish I'd thought of that.  ;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

dandelO

To keep an exact track on your rivers progress with the differing values, pause your 3D view before unplugging the node and unpause it straight after plugging it back in. The new values will refresh over the old ones instead of on the 'uncarved' terrain that way.