creating rings around planets

Started by freejac, April 01, 2008, 02:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freejac

Im trying to create planets with rings for a project im working on, anyone out there have any ideas?  I have tried the disk, cant seem to find it once added no matter where I view, so I'm stumped....  Would really like an explanation of how its done if anyone knows.

Thanks  Freejac

Harvey Birdman

-

freejac

I'm really new to this version and don't think I really grasp the settings yet.  Could you save the settings you did and post them for me so I can see them please.  I don't seem to be able to get it rite and see nothing on the camera.

Thanks

Harvey Birdman

Sure, no problem. Look for it in a couple of hours. I need to get some coffee in me first.

Ogre

I also just uploaded 2 OBJs over at ashundar that I have used as planetary rings

http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=0

They should be approved shortly
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

Harvey Birdman

-

freejac

Thanks again, only had version 2 for two days, learning curve is steep compared to the earlier version. Really appreciate it....

Freejac

rcallicotte

There are lots of tutorials, free files (cloud library is a good place to learn) and lots of willing people here.  If you can't find an answer through a search, you should find someone willing to help you.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: calico on April 02, 2008, 02:25:22 PM
you should find someone willing to help you....

Yeah, we're short-tempered only on occasion.    ;)    ;D

rcallicotte

...you should find someone willing to help you like Harvey Birdman did.   ;D

Another way of saying this is - there are a lot of helpful people here.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

Hey, don't single me out, man. I've sort of been trying to keep a low profile around here.

:D

freejac

Well I just wanted to let you all know I appreciate all the help, and the helpful people on this forum.  I wasn't ready for the learning curve in this new version, and I'm still trying to work out all the changes.  I spent last night trying to make the ring look segmented but didnt have much luck. I have to work out the coordinate system in this version so its familiar and not so intimidating. I primarily use it to relax and unwind after work ( I build MRI equipment for a living) and sometimes the stress takes a toll.  Anyway, thanks again, will post some of my pics when I get them where I want them.

Freejac

freejac

Heres my second attempt to make a ringed planet.... now if I can figure out how to texture all the rings it would be even better.

Harvey Birdman

-