network switch/nat question

Started by Harvey Birdman, April 05, 2008, 01:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

Hey, all -

I'm planning on expanding my ethernet setup here. I currently use an old Microsoft wireless access point/switch/NAT unit between my modem and the rest of the network. This MS unit (mn-500) has a dedicated input designed to take the modem, and it isolates this from the LAN with a NAT. It's a low-budget solution but a good one; it gives me all the functionality I want plus a modicum of security with MAC filtering, the NAT, etc.

Like I said, though, it's old. I'd like to find something that supports newer ethernet standards but still has a similar configuration - the dedicated modem input that sits outside the NAT. I only need 8~12 RJ45 LAN connectors (want to accomodate the new rendering stations that will hopefully be built this summer).

So does anyone have any product recommendations? I haven't looked at network hardware in years (as the old model WAP attests). Any input appreciated.

:)

rcallicotte

I wouldn't get a wireless, unless you really really need to have a wireless router.

Outside of that, there are a few in Best Buy that usually run anywhere from 40 to 80 dollars that will be configurable in the same way you've described.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Harvey Birdman

The wireless really doesn't get much use - I like being able to work on the deck on my laptop, but other than that I keep it disabled.

It's the hardwired switch/hardware firewall/nat/dhcp functionality I'm interested in. I can use the WAP I have now. In particular I want the hardware firewall/nat between the modem port and the LAN side.

Will

Yea I would agree with calico. Ah for recommendations I would checkout new egg look at the customer reviews.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.