Another little teaser with water transparency

Started by FrankB, April 05, 2008, 06:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Hi guys,

I've fiddled at bit with the latest version with water transparency, essentially to check out wether it can handle object reflections and remain stable. It's nothing special but I thought you may want to have a look. It also features a childish attempt to mimic underwater bubbles (if you look very closely), but it turns out I need more practice with that. :-)

Anyway, here it is  (1600x1000something, at 0.8 quality. Speed was very acceptable on a dual core)

Regards,
Frank

[attachimg=#]

moodflow

Looks great Frank. 

I also like the water grass you've used on the banks.  They look pretty realistic.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Oh, that's nice. 

Thanks for posting, Frank.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

Kevin F

This looks really good. I like transparent water of course, but also the damp sand at the edge is very effective. Can't wait for this version to be released. Thanks for this.

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Phylloxera

Beautiful render, too realistic, I love the plants ! (Xfrog or another !)
The rocks are successful and well integrated into the riverside!

Mr_Lamppost

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

inkydigit

bang on the money here, Frank ... excellent ... love the reflections! .. cant wait to see more!

joshbakr

Really nice. Plants look really good but I think if you would lighten up on the amount of small stones and add a touch of grit to the high points of the sand  would be even better.

Seth

yeah agree with joshkbar. you should try to apply some (more ?) fractal deformation to the stones and try to add some very small displacement to the ground as if it was some sand or mud ^^

FrankB

thanks for the suggestions, guys, but this was merely a test of the upcoming transparency and volumetric density features.
I haven't invested much time in this at all, and probably never will in this particular one.
I'm delighted though, that you still liked it despite its simplicity and imperfections.

I may revisit a similar scene in the future, though - by which time I'll make sure I pay attention to the "sand" ;-)

Cheers,
Frank

FrankB

not a teaser anymore, but I stumbled over this image again. I still like the scene somehow and felt I could easily make a few tweaks.
The modifications are rather subtle:
- more detail and smaller stones
- foam/bubble patches on/in the water
- slightly changes sub-surface color
- added specular highlights to the stones

It toook 8 hrs to render on 2 cores at 1600x1024 resolution.
As I said, nothing special, but I thought you may like it this way.

Cheers,
Frank

[attachimg=#]