Lighting differences in preview

Started by Kevin F, April 09, 2008, 07:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Why is it that occasionally you get big differences in lighting between the preview rendering details of 10, 20, 40, 80 and the final finished preview?
Examples attached.
Kevin.

Matt

Big changes in the shape of the shadows can sometimes happen if the shadow is cast from some distant piece of terrain. When the shadow-casting terrain is far from the camera the subdivision levels are reduced (the shadow-casting polygons are larger), and when that shadow is cast onto something in the foreground the polygons of the distant terrain are effectively magnified. Level of detail changes can therefore become very noticeable.

If that is what's happening here, you may find that this region is in partial shadow if you enable soft shadows. There will probably still be differences between levels of detail with soft shadows enabled, but they will just be differences in how much light reaches the foreground rather than a sudden on-off switch.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kevin F

Thanks Matt,
I think I actually understand that!

rcallicotte

I've seen this happen with extra-displaced displacements.  The first preview at 10% or 20% can look fine and then sudden darkness by the time 40% or 60% come in.  I'm assuming this is for the same reason as explained here.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?