Lighting problem :(

Started by robac, April 09, 2008, 06:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robac

hi, i'm new here :)
terragen2 is the first 3d program i'm using, so forgive me if the answer to my problem is really simple ;)
i've been playing with options for some time, and everytime i render, i have the same problem with lighting (or with atmosphere, i'm not sure :( )
everything goes so dirty and noisy, like here:

(sorry it's a quick render, but making a full one on my slow pc takes a few hours :( )

i hope You can help me ;)

PS. sorry for my English, i'm from Poland

child@play

hi,

looks like you need to use more atmosphere samples. to do so, go to the atmosphere tab, under 'quality' you'll find 'number of samples'.
you will need more than the standard 16 for scenes like those, try with 64 maybe, or even higher, around 126 or so.

hope this helps, cheers
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Mohawk20

I would really encourage you to begin thinking about upgrading your pc... The fact is, in its current version, TG2 renders slowly. If you want this scene to work, you should do a full render, with higher detail settings and as child@play said increase the atmo samples.

This will take several hours, but if you have the time, or if you are willing to make a sacrifice, you could end up with a great scene if this preview is any indication!

Good luck...
Howgh!

robac

thanks, after changing numer of samples everything's ok :]

i think i'll be upgrading my pc in the nearest future
i've never used it to play games or do 3d graphics, so my pIV 2.4ghz, radeon 9250se and 1GB RAM pc was enough for me
doing a full render of a scene just like the one in first post (640x480, 3xaa, 1xdetails) takes about 6 hours :/

anyway, thanks for the help, i hope i can post something nice soon :]

Mr_Lamppost

As has been said that is the start of a potentially good image.

In general you can get good results with the detail setting at 0.7 or 0.8.  This will vary from scene to scene but will save render time.  While you are working on an image you can often use the default 0.5.  If you think you will need a higher setting; make a crop render of an area to see if the additional render time involved with a high detail setting will give the result you want. 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.