terragen rocks(and grass!)

Started by inkydigit, April 10, 2008, 03:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkydigit

work in progress really, but I quite like this...all settings are my own, an experiment into fake stones/surfacing and object population!...I used several flavours of voronoi with mix scalar nodes to break up the uniform shape of the stones, I then added a power fractal on top of that with an image map.  Grass is from terralights(thanks Klas!!)and some credit must go to Martin Huisman(thanks man!), without whose tutorial I would not have been inspired to explore the potential of the function nodes!! image obtained from freeseamlesstextures.com

as always comments and critiques  gratefully received!

rcallicotte

The grass is some of the best I've ever seen.  Your lighting is very good.  I like the rocks a lot.  The one rock in the foreground has too many fractalizations or too many small displacements to look real.  That is being somewhat nitpicky, but I think if it has more of a smoother look it could be closer to a rock.  Or maybe it just needs more tiny displacements to look like dust.

Anyway, this is very good.  Congratulations on your efforts!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

the big rock on the left is good !!!

Harvey Birdman

Dude, that looks freakin' perfect!!
:)

monks

Holy crap! Pristine!
@Calico: I've seen rock like that, come to think of it, it was on an industrial wasteland, but I've seen stuff like this elsewhere - I reckon a rock with metal in it.

...any chance of a tgd...?

monks

child@play

this is amazing, i LOVE your rocks!
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Phylloxera

The grass is perfect, good work on the fake stones, they look like pieces of hardened lava !

mr-miley

Outstanding. Realy nice render. If you want a wee bit of constructive criticism (no? well your going to get it anyway  ;D ) try turning up the AA a bit, if you look hard at the grass in the foreground it looks a bit jagged. That said, if I sit 3 ft away from my monitor, it looks totally photographic.... so I'll shut up  ;)

As to the large rock on the left, I don't think it looks unrealistic, just unusual! Makes me think of either volcanic type rock or something that has come out of a blast furnace. In fact, I have just had my boss over to look at it (he's a geologist, I work for a geotechnical site investigation company) and we are both in agreement that it is either volcanic highly vesicular rock, or klinker, from a blast furnace or similar. The klinker fits more with the colouring.

Anyway, most excellent render, have a gold star and go to the top of the class  ;D

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

reck

oh I love the grass. Was the grass model your own or did you download it somewhere? (if so where!!!)

Marcos Silveira

Quote from: reck on April 11, 2008, 07:53:18 AM
oh I love the grass. Was the grass model your own or did you download it somewhere? (if so where!!!)

Hi, the Grass can be found here:

http://www.terralights.de/terralightsII/Downloads/details/id=17.html

reck

Thanks ro-nin. I'll download and take a look.

choronr

Agree with Harvey; fantastic realism here. Now, I would like to see this evolve into a beautiful scene!

Mr_Lamppost

Very Nice.  I looked at this soon after you posted it but didn't say anything as I was trying to think what the rocks reminded me of; Clinker is exactly it.   ;)

I got that grass by Klas a couple of weeks ago, it does give good results.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

inkydigit

thanks for all the feedback folks!...very much appreciated!
  :)