Some quick help...

Started by bri, April 10, 2008, 05:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bri

I was looking at a book about volcanoes for a research paper, and in there was a very interesting picture. It was a crack in a very rugged, yet flat, area(imagine fake stones, if you will). Also, in the background were bigger hills. My questions are:

1) Is there a way to design a crack with functions or some other way? I don't know how to get the heightfield erode functions working, as none of them work for me.
2) Is there a way to get one area flat, like with a mask?

I'm not good with functions. I tried using them, but I never noticed a change.

Also, the crack is very smooth at the edges. If I can get a picture of it on my cellphone, I'll post it to show you guys, but that won't be until tomorrow. I hope you guys understand my description. :P

Harvey Birdman

_

bri

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on April 10, 2008, 06:03:35 PM
1) I'd think the simplest way to create a crack would be with a displacement map, not with function nodes. Make a black image with a white streak (or the other way around), load it in an image shader and apply that to the displacement input of your terrain (or some shader).

2) Flatten terrain - http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2614.msg26126#msg26126.

Thanks! I will go try those out. :D

rcallicotte

Hey, good idea! 

Quote from: Harvey Birdman on April 10, 2008, 06:03:35 PM
1) I'd think the simplest way to create a crack would be with a displacement map, not with function nodes. Make a black image with a white streak (or the other way around), load it in an image shader and apply that to the displacement input of your terrain (or some shader).
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?