Problem with rendering

Started by Shad0w, April 13, 2008, 11:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shad0w

Well i have a little problem...

I checked all the options except "Render Sky/Clouds" and am using a buffer size of 128 and rendered it.
Image sizes i tried where between 640x480 and 2048x1563...
ah and i use 4097x4097 Terrain Grid Points with 7.5 metres point spacing

so... when you look at this image i think you see what my problem is... there are a lot edges that can clearly be seen.... any idea to get rid of them (except scaling the image down with photoshop or something like that)

thanks!

PG

What value is in the pixel aspect ratio box?
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Cyber-Angel

Shadow,

This may sound obvious and My Bad if you have already, but is your detail slider all the way to the right? If its not that maybe why you getting the problems you are?

;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

PG

Oh yeah, that's a good point actually. haha, I always look for the complicated answers lol. ;D

Cyber-Angel

Quote from: PG on April 13, 2008, 11:34:27 AM
Oh yeah, that's a good point actually. haha, I always look for the complicated answers lol. ;D

Not to worry your question about the Pixel Aspect Ratio is still valid non the less.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Shad0w

details are at their highest ;)

mmh pixel aspect ratio is at 1...

PG

Do you have a registered version of Terragen? Well try increasing the pixel aspect ratio by a bit.

Shad0w

Yeah it is the registered.

Okay lets see what happens :D

red_planet

This really does look like a classic detail slider problem. It's important to realise that no matter how high you have set things after pressing the "render settings" button, if the detail slider above it is not moved all the way to the right, the end result is pixellated images.

Hope this helps..

Chris

Shad0w

na like I said before, detail slider is/was all the way to the right.
Mmh but strangely the error seems to be gone suddenly... :O

Right now I'am trying to get it back, so i know why it occured... xD

could it be, that the metres point spacing box had a value of 7.5 and now 30?

na, I think I will find it out soon...
thanks for helping me, when i have the problem I will post it...

Oshyan

It looks like the terrain was either not originally generated/created at 4097 but simply resized to this level from a smaller, less detailed terrain, or was created in 8bit color depth in another editor and was imported to TG. Resizing can't add actual detail, it can only "interpolate" or guess at the values that should be there. If you want a terrain with full detail at a given size you must generate or otherwise create it originally at this size. If the terrain was created in a 3rd party program you should try to use a dedicated terrain editor rather than an image editor as the image editor will most likely be limited to 8 bit, 256 levels of gray.

There was also a resize-related issue in TG 0.9 which may still be present in some situations. It caused unusually strong blocky artifacting on resized terrains. But ultimately you shouldn't resize a terrain at all, as I noted above. Other applications also have better resizing algorithms which may improve the results if you absolutely must resize from a low resolution original.

- Oshyan

Shad0w

Sorry, had been gone the last week...

Yeah seems that Osyhan is right...
The error occurs when i resize the Terrain ( It seems i did this after generating in the posted image Oo )

when i generated a similar terrain in the 4097x4097 size right away, with almost same settings the error was gone...

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Think i will try to avoid resizing in the future xD