Size Guide for Dune's Free Grasses

Started by bobbystahr, June 14, 2018, 04:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Very handy and you'll notice that combos can do nice colour variation as they aren't all the same texture. Very well done models even close up
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Thanks for the reference, actually needed this today.

Subsequently I learned these don't seem to be to scale, that is if TG size/scale is in meters. I built a road scene to scale to car track widths (right down to 0.8-1inch stones) and such and the grass is super large. Like young tree trunks haha.

Also, where is grass 10 and 6B? Do I have a different pack?

Dune

Yes, handy. I didn't even make that, and have to remember which was which. Thanks Bobby.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on June 15, 2018, 01:19:00 AM
Yes, handy. I didn't even make that, and have to remember which was which. Thanks Bobby.

My pleasure, and done as much for my convenience as anything but being a hippie sharing is 2nd nature....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on June 15, 2018, 01:17:31 AM

Subsequently I learned these don't seem to be to scale, that is if TG size/scale is in meters. I built a road scene to scale to car track widths (right down to 0.8-1inch stones) and such and the grass is super large. Like young tree trunks haha.

If you need to know what actual size they are I'd load up MrLamppost's grid tgd and load them into that
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on June 15, 2018, 01:53:47 AM

If you need to know what actual size they are I'd load up MrLamppost's grid tgd and load them into that

Well, is TG scale in meters? IE 1 is 1 meter? That's what I've always been lead to believe. Wonder if that varies with a SSS "Size".

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on June 15, 2018, 01:57:41 AM

Well, is TG scale in meters? IE 1 is 1 meter? That's what I've always been lead to believe. Wonder if that varies with a SSS "Size".

I think they were not made to real world scale which is why I suggested using grid.tgd so you can size them and make a note what is real scale for you for each of the clumps...that's what I do any way.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

I think they were not made to real world scale which is why I suggested using grid.tgd so you can size them and make a note what is real scale for you for each of the clumps...that's what I do any way.

Hmm that seems to out a damper on world space, altitude, and masking, making them all in accurate when I was always lead TG is the accurate program based meters.

I always thought the guides were for scaling objects not to TG standards to scale.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on June 15, 2018, 01:02:55 PM

Hmm that seems to out a damper on world space, altitude, and masking, making them all in accurate when I was always lead TG is the accurate program based meters.

I always thought the guides were for scaling objects not to TG standards to scale.

Well as I intimated, Ulco's models are most definitely not to TG standards out of the box, but I take them individually with a reference object, usually the free Grand Fir and get a default size, must remember to re-save with the size in the title, and my grasses have been looking pretty natural using 90% Dune Grasses. Any object who's size I'm not sure of I scale to that tree even without the grid because with grass and rocks etc it's a sliding scale in nature for sure.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on June 15, 2018, 04:14:22 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on June 15, 2018, 01:02:55 PM

Well as I intimated, Ulco's models are most definitely not to TG standards out of the box, but I take them individually with a reference object, usually the free Grand Fir and get a default size, must remember to re-save with the size in the title, and my grasses have been looking pretty natural using 90% Dune Grasses. Any object who's size I'm not sure of I scale to that tree even without the grid because with grass and rocks etc it's a sliding scale in nature for sure.

Good idea on resaving them. I'll do that with the edits to the grass in the gravel road version. I think that's where I got my confusion, I thought Dune would have made them scaled to real-world being alredy TGOs so I was thinking my whole understanding of scales was off.

Dune

I probably forgot, as they were ZBrush made. I'll see if I still have the obj's...

WAS

It's not a big issue, just had me confused since I was used to other TGOs scaled to slap in so I was little startled by stalky bush grass dwarfing my road haba

Oshyan

TG uses meters for pretty much any scale-related aspect. It does not vary with SSS scale or whatever.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on June 16, 2018, 09:25:52 PM
TG uses meters for pretty much any scale-related aspect. It does not vary with SSS scale or whatever.

- Oshyan

Thank you for that confirmation Oshyan, that puts a lot more confidence in what I'm doing. Especially when the name is a bit different; scale, size, area length