Glass windows

Started by reck, April 17, 2008, 03:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: sonshine777 on April 17, 2008, 04:49:45 PM
Quote from: old_blaggard on April 17, 2008, 03:58:28 PM
The transparency can be applied to any surface.

Stands to reason, after all the water is just a plane.

and here's a little test run using just that technique combined with the brilliant merge shader transparency trick. I used a coloured light to show the transparency off better. I didn't do the extra render for the subsurface I simply used a bumpy greyscale caustic type map...worked O K by my lights.. ...
EDIT .tgo posted in Free Stuff at Rendo.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

gregsandor

The simplest solution is to set the opacity in your glass material to .4 or so.  The water shader is nice, but the transparency works fine in the regular shader.

cyphyr

Quote from: bobbystahr on April 19, 2008, 02:34:20 PM
Quote from: sonshine777 on April 17, 2008, 04:49:45 PM
Quote from: old_blaggard on April 17, 2008, 03:58:28 PM
The transparency can be applied to any surface.

Stands to reason, after all the water is just a plane.

and here's a little test run using just that technique combined with the brilliant merge shader transparency trick. I used a coloured light to show the transparency off better. I didn't do the extra render for the subsurface I simply used a bumpy greyscale caustic type map...worked O K by my lights.. ...

Can you post a close up version showing the transparency more clearly. This looks a very interesting way forward. I'm guessing this only works for "simple" transparent objects, not ones involving refraction.

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bobbystahr

Quote from: gregsandor on April 21, 2008, 09:45:25 PM
The simplest solution is to set the opacity in your glass material to .4 or so.  The water shader is nice, but the transparency works fine in the regular shader.

True,... I have done that as well, but using the water shader and the merge technique allows you to also have a degree of reflectivity[native in the water shader] you can't get with a default shader. Same render penalty as using a reflect shader but that one doesn't work with default shader transparency...just what my tests have shown me.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

gregsandor

Using an opacity map seems to work as 1 or 0; either its on or off, black or white, no shades of grey.  I filled the corners with dust (or snow or whatever), but there was no fade.

bobbystahr

Yeah, I as well found that to be so, hope that gets fixed along with the water transparency. Having written what I did my last post I find I have to eat a bit of crow as I have been trying the technique that worked so well on the lamp post on a window and for the life of me can't get it to work. Sigh.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

reck

Hi Bobby and Greg, I completely missed your posts. Looks like there is better support for some kind of transparency then I thought. I did notice the opacity settings but it didn't seem to do much when I had a quick look. I'm spending some time at the moment looking at a displacement problem i'm having with another model at the moment.

scott8933

Bobby I went to d/l your lamppost, but some punk kids busted the glass already. Could you repost?

bobbystahr

Quote from: scott8933 on April 24, 2008, 11:31:10 AM

Bobby I went to d/l your lamppost, but some punk kids busted the glass already. Could you repost?

I found it to still be at:
http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item374
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New