Glass windows

Started by reck, April 17, 2008, 03:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

I've just rendered this image in TG2 but I couldn't put any windows in because there's no way to make them transparent. In the alpha version thats going round at the moment will it be possible to apply transparency to part of an object such as glass windows?

rcallicotte

I certainly hope so. Maybe we'll hear a word from The Laboratory.

Nice pic, by the way.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

As far as I understand the transparency is only available for water so far, so you could apply a water shader to the windows, and make it waveless....
Howgh!

nvseal

Nice image. Have tried making a window reflective instead?

zionner

Quote from: Mohawk20 on April 17, 2008, 03:26:21 PM
As far as I understand the transparency is only available for water so far, so you could apply a water shader to the windows, and make it waveless....

Accually, I remember Matt saying you'll be able to apply it to other surfaces...But I'm not sure about objects

old_blaggard

The transparency can be applied to any surface.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sonshine777

Quote from: old_blaggard on April 17, 2008, 03:58:28 PM
The transparency can be applied to any surface.

Stands to reason, after all the water is just a plane.

rcallicotte

Thanks o_b.  This is good to know!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

As with the current public version you can apply the Water Shader, and hence transparency, to any object or surface. In the future transparency should be a more general material property.

By the way this is a superb scene. One of the best of these prop-using renders I've seen lately.

- Oshyan

reck

Thanks guys. o_b thats good to know, looking forward to the next release.

Oshyan, I didn't think the water shader in the current public release was transparent, I thought that was what was added to the current private alpha builds.

Oshyan

I meant that in the current version you can apply the water shader to pretty much anything so, since the beta will include transparency i the water shader, you will then be able to apply it to anything. You are of course correct that it is not yet available in the current public version.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

Reck,

Would it be possible for you to do the same scene from the same POV and lighting, but without the building (nice as it is) but please keep that log where it is? This is only a suggestion, if you feel that the mid ground of the image would lose its impact by removing the building then I understand; but I think that the contrast of the light and shadow on the grass with those flowers would be strong enough by them selfs to carry the visual weight of the mid ground of the image.

I don't wish to get in the way of of vision for your work, just what I think, fine image non the less.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

reck

Oshyan, ah ok I understand, i'll coat my windows with the water shader in future :)

Cyber-Angel. It would only take a minute to turn off the shack model and hit the render button, but this image took many days to render (the trees slowed it down) so I don't fancy starting it off again.

The image was just a training exercise for me. I've never created and imported an object into TG before and I just wanted to get experience in the process. I'd like to use Blender as my Terragen prop tool and this was the first test. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to handle the transparent parts of an object, but it sounds like the water shader is the way to go.

Just one other thing, and I know this has been mentioned before, but i'd just like to add my voice to the requests asking for the texture limit to be removed (or greatly increased) at some point from TG. Now that i've started importing objects I can see why other people have put in this request as it can be quite limiting.

Cyber-Angel

OK Reck,

Like I said if its a headache, which it sounds like it would be, then no big deal only some thoughts I had when I first saw you image which I like as is any way.

8)

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel     

bobbystahr

Quote from: reck on April 17, 2008, 03:14:21 PM
I've just rendered this image in TG2 but I couldn't put any windows in because there's no way to make them transparent. In the alpha version thats going round at the moment will it be possible to apply transparency to part of an object such as glass windows?

Great scene...my workaround to this is I select the glass objet in the multishader and make sure it has a Default Shader and then I go to the opacity Tab and I make it fully transparent...you won't get reflections or refractions, but light will pass through, and if you have light inside it will flow out through the window and likewise sunlight will penetrate to the interior if you have it aimed at the window...nicely held back on the number of scattered wildflowers...I find there are generally too many added in scenes and in real life they are rarely dense except in bunches...that's just what I've noticed anyhow.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist