A Possible Bug

Started by jtmjtm2001, April 22, 2008, 08:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtmjtm2001

This is my first post. I'm in the process of learning TG2 by trial and error. I got these lines in the sky when I rendered this one. I'm a total newbe at TG2. I do have the .tgw if anyone is interested.

John Morris

Mohawk20

To be honest, I have no idea what it could be.

My first thought was some extreme displacement of the terrain, but then it should have been closer as well, as this seems to be a procedural terrain...
It could be very strange clouds, but that requires some extreme settings as well.

It could be just bad render quality... what were your detail settings?
Howgh!

rcallicotte

I've seen this before.  It's a displacement out of whack somewhere.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Matt

If you can post the .tgd here (or email it to support at planetside.co.uk) we can probably diagnose the problem. There is likely to be one shader that is causing weird displacement. It could perhaps be a Power Fractal with a very small value for "smallest scale" - there are some known bugs there, especially at great distances from the origin (which is consistent with the spikes appearing over the horizon in your render).

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Cyber-Angel

Another thing to consider it could be artifacts related to the clipping plane issue where if the camera is a certain distance away form the terrain, the terrain tears along the vertices's which can leave small fragments behind, when you render these fragments when I've encountered them have cursed rendering issues such as the on shown here. These issues, however, where in early releases of the tech preview and have not seen them recently before seeing this thread.

I thought that one of the prerequisite's for a production level renderer was to have effective garbage collection and not have artifacts, but what we have here is a WIP?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D           

Matt

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on April 23, 2008, 10:52:21 AM
Another thing to consider it could be artifacts related to the clipping plane issue where if the camera is a certain distance away form the terrain, the terrain tears along the vertices's which can leave small fragments behind, when you render these fragments when I've encountered them have cursed rendering issues such as the on shown here. These issues, however, where in early releases of the tech preview and have not seen them recently before seeing this thread.

I don't remember anything like that. Are you not thinking of what happens if the camera is below the terrain? That's not a render error.

I thought that one of the prerequisite's for a production level renderer was to have effective garbage collection and not have artifacts, but what we have here is a WIP?

I don't think garbage collection has anything to do with this. As for not having artefacts, we do our best, but I don't think any renderer is perfect. In this situation I believe it's a bug in my Perlin noise implementation which only occurs at great distances from the origin and with very small noise scales.

Matt

jtmjtm2001

Heres the .tgd

Matt

The culprit is Soil_Bumps. I think it is running into the bug I was talking about. Increasing the Smallest scale to 0.01 seems to help. Millimetre scale details are unlikely to be visible unless you get much closer to the surface anyway. We'll try to fix this in future.

Matt

jtmjtm2001

Sounds great. Thank you.