Displaced Sandstone (renderspeed test @ HQ settings)

Started by Tangled-Universe, May 02, 2008, 07:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Hi All,

This image has been rendered with quality @ 1.25, detail blending 1.25, GI 3/3 and AA 10.
The high-quality was necessary to render the tiny fakestones and other details smoothly.
Atmo-samples were 96 and softshadows diameter was 10 at 30 sampes.
Resolution is 960x1280 and the rendertime on a quadcore Q6600 was just 12,5 hours :)
The tgd is quite similar to one of my latest canyon-images and those took nearly 50 hours on each core, so I'm very happy with the speedup.

The black areas are probably due to too low GI quality of lighting on heavy displacements. I still have to test that by the way.
C&C welcome, thanks for stopping by.

Martin

Xpleet

Wow impressive, and so realistic.

Is it the version that already supports multithreaing?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Xpleet on May 02, 2008, 12:02:29 PM
Wow impressive, and so realistic.

Is it the version that already supports multithreaing?

Thank you :) and yes, this has been rendered with the latest update.

nvseal

Amazing work here TU, really really impressive. Can't wait for more.  8)

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Thank you guys :)

I've tested higher GI settings to determine if GI is really responsible for the black areas and it seems it isn't.
I've rendered crops with GI up to 6/6 and later also with GI surface detail enabled but all didn't improve it.
Does anybody have a clue?

Martin

RArcher

Really nice surfacing work.  Unfortunately I don't have any idea of what would cause the black marks other than the occasional displacement tearing I sometimes get when using the redirect shader.

Seth

j meyer

As for the dark spots i've seen comparable effects with power fractals used
for coloring,just a thought.

choronr

JimB

Are you sure the dark spots aren't the base surface layer showing through, after perhaps being switched off or darkened?
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Tangled-Universe

Thank you guys :)

Well Jim, I'm not so sure about my case anymore so you might be right. I will have to check it out to be sure.

Like I said I often have troubles with coloring the surfaces.
In many cases the chosen colors do not have the same result when rendered.
All probably because of lighting conditions but nevertheless I find that hard to cope with.

I'll check out your suggestions when I'm back home. Thank you for your input :)

Martin

mr-miley

TU
Glad its not just me when it comes to choosing colours and then finding that they render as a completely different colour to the one chosen  ;D Thats about the only thing I miss from TG 0.9XX At least if you chose a colour in that then it rendered in the same vague colour range  >:(

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

choronr

I think that 'lighting' and shadows plays a major role as to how the color will be perceived.

mr-miley

I realise that, its just that it seems to play a damn sight bigger part than it did in V0.9 If you used a colour in V0.9 at least it rendered sort of like the colour you chose, In this version most of the time the colours render nothing like the ones you chose and it makes it rather difficult to get what you want.
I love the smell of caffine in the morning