underwater scenes ?

Started by jcinbama, May 03, 2008, 02:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcinbama

has anyone try an underwater scene with the new build or will it still not work?

Mohawk20

One of Matt's posts said underwater scenes might not work well...

(Or I could have mis understood because the exact phrase was "...except for underwater..." if I remember correctly.)
Howgh!

jcinbama

rcallicotte

Since the lake shader / object is just a plane, how would you do anything "under" water?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

Import a cube or create a sphere, scale it large, use the water shader on it and then just go inside, an easy way to test it.

PG

The sphere object won't work, you'll have to create a sphere in 3ds max that is solid rather than a shell and import that. I'll give it a go now.

**Edit:
OK I created a box in 3ds Max, added a Normal modifier to it and clicked unify normals. I think you'll need to use the trick that Cypher came up with for the glass with the water shader to extend the transparency. Also I think that you could flip the lake object so you wouldn't have to go through 3ds Max every time.

Cypher's topic: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3977.0;

The render is very slow if using the box from 3ds Max, and doesn't give great results, you need to somehow use a volume modifier on the object but I could only find vol. select.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

You would think that even if it's a plane, it could have reflections at the underside, and change light colour below it.
But it doesn't.

I tried to render with the camera below the water surface, but apart from a memory error halfway (because I was running two TG renders at the same time), it just rendered as if the water shader wasn't there ar all.
Howgh!

jo

Hi,

Matt would have to clarify this, but I believe at this time the water shader is one way from "above" the water.

Regards,

Jo

nikita

From above:

From below:

(dark surface layer marks under water parts)

Mohawk20

Exactly nikita! The same result I had...
Howgh!

Dune

What if you make another world with a lake, hang it right above the usual globe. Find yourself a nice spot between the two worlds (under the otherworldly waterplane). Then uncheck rendering the second world itself (if that's possible, otherwise make the water very deep, and very transparant). Just a quick thought... I used this two world method to make a cave, which kind of worked.

---Dune

Volker Harun

As soon as you turn the plane upside down, you have the water above you. Or you can use the internal TG-Sphere with a negative diameter, this will turn the outside in.

Jack

im working on an underwater scene but it aint really underwater just a reall dense atmo
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Mr_Lamppost

I wasn't actively working on an under water scene until you asked; I did have the concept on the back burner and had done some of the in theory problem solving.  This is a low quality first iteration, I am working away from home on my Pants-O-Matic single core Celeron laptop so don't hold your breath.  :) Actually Do hold your breath because even though there is a ways to go with this you are underwater.  ;D I'll do a guide to how it's done when I get back to some real computing power.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Henry Blewer

This is not too bad. If there were objects, lens distortion of some kind could help.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T