Mr Lamppost’s Procedural Granite

Started by Mr_Lamppost, May 05, 2008, 10:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Lamppost

Here is a  polished granite material that I came up with.  The clip imports a single Default Material node, (attach it anywhere), I used the Internal Network trick so right click the node and open its internal network and you will be able to change the settings, colour, scale, fractal type etc.

The preview image is of the material applied tro a default 1 metre radius sphere.

Share and Enjoy  ;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

ZStar

Thanks Mr_Lamppost, I have always been partial to granites and this looks like a winner. 

I'm fairly new to TG so I have been learning from the files shared by others.  I have seen the internal network trick used elsewhere.  I like the way it simplifies the node network.  I can open an existing one but I have not been able to figure out how to create a new internal network.  Would you mind sharing the trick or point me to a tut?  Thanks.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Mr :)
This looks very useful for integration with my latest project, since I'm experiencing some coloring difficulties.
Cheers!

Martin

rcallicotte

Awesome.  Now, would you let us know how you did the glass?  In the same way, but with the Water Shader?

Thank you.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

Is it possible this is what happens, when loading a clip file (this clip file) from the newest Alpha into version 1.9.04.1?

Alf15000

Thank you ! It's very nice and will be usefull ;)

j meyer

Thanks Mr_L.

Calico - i've got that too when i tried it and i remember a file from
some months ago,most likely one of Volker,that had about 200
errors and warnings.
edit-forgot to mention the power fractal settings are actually changed
also when you load the clip file into 19041.

rcallicotte

Thanks for mentioning this, j meyer.  I have used the file, nevertheless and it's a great work.  Thanks Mr. L!  Strange about the errors, but maybe to be expected at this stage. 

Oshyan

Calico, are you a registered user, running the latest Technology Preview 3?

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Yes.  I'm running both versions - the latest Alpha and the previous version.

Quote from: Oshyan on May 07, 2008, 12:19:43 AM
Calico, are you a registered user, running the latest Technology Preview 3?

- Oshyan

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: ZStar on May 05, 2008, 11:19:49 PM
I'm fairly new to TG so I have been learning from the files shared by others.  I have seen the internal network trick used elsewhere.  I like the way it simplifies the node network.  I can open an existing one but I have not been able to figure out how to create a new internal network.  Would you mind sharing the trick or point me to a tut?  Thanks.

I am just about to go away for a week or so won't have a chance to put a tutorial together on hiding nodes in internal networks.  There are a few other people that use this technique more than I do maybe one of them can help.  Sorry to pass the buck  ;D

Quote from: calico on May 06, 2008, 11:02:55 AM
Awesome.  Now, would you let us know how you did the glass?  In the same way, but with the Water Shader?

Thank you.

There is some discussion on applying Glass to objects in this thread:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3977.0

Make sure the double sisded flag is NOT set.

Quote from: j meyer on May 06, 2008, 04:25:06 PM
Thanks Mr_L.

Calico - i've got that too when i tried it and i remember a file from
some months ago,most likely one of Volker,that had about 200
errors and warnings.
edit-forgot to mention the power fractal settings are actually changed
also when you load the clip file into 19041.

I am looking into this problem right now.  If I can I will make an update before I go away No promises.  :-\
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Oshyan

Strange Calico - does this happen when loading the clip in *both* versions? Have you verified the version number from the Help->About Terragen 2 menu option?

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

It doesn't work the same in both versions and yes I checked the version. 

[edit - I just figured it out.  If I have opened a TGD in the Alpha and then open that same TGD in the previous version, then I get this escapade as I posted above.  Not sure the reason, but this is consistent.]

ZStar

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on May 07, 2008, 07:11:14 PM
I am just about to go away for a week or so won't have a chance to put a tutorial together on hiding nodes in internal networks.  There are a few other people that use this technique more than I do maybe one of them can help.  Sorry to pass the buck  ;D

I didn't realize it was such a complicated a process that it would require a whole tutorial.  I'll ask around.  Thanks.

Oshyan

Quote from: calico on May 07, 2008, 11:22:05 PM
It doesn't work the same in both versions and yes I checked the version. 

[edit - I just figured it out.  If I have opened a TGD in the Alpha and then open that same TGD in the previous version, then I get this escapade as I posted above.  Not sure the reason, but this is consistent.]

That makes total sense and is as I expected. It's because the newer version has added a bunch of new parameters to various nodes and those are stored in the .tgd. When you attempt to load a .tgd using an older version it doesn't recognize a lot of the newer parameters so it gives those warnings. This isn't a bug, it's definitely expected behavior.

- Oshyan