Masking entire planet surface

Started by Arandil, March 20, 2007, 08:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

Quote from: Arandil on March 20, 2007, 05:31:11 PM
BTW, I have Photoshop, does anyone know if PS can save spherical projection images?

This is the only thing I could find close to it. there's a 3d sphere plugin that you can map textures to and theres a texture mapping corrector for spheres. No clue as to how you'd actually create the spherical textures though. lemmie know if you find out.

http://www.richardrosenman.com/software/downloads/

EDIT: I don't know if this has been addressed at all in this topic but when I changed the centre of the planet so that it'd be easier to apply the image map the planet went very weird. All the settings are default except for the location of the planet, the size of the planet (reduced to 10000) and the location of the camera obviously.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Oshyan

Looks like that might be related to the default heightfield or some other displacement shader in your network. If there are absolutely no other displacement-providing shaders (including heightfield nodes) then it may be a bug. But I'd investigate other sources first.

- Oshyan

Arandil

Quote from: PG on May 10, 2008, 04:38:35 PM

This is the only thing I could find close to it. there's a 3d sphere plugin that you can map textures to and theres a texture mapping corrector for spheres. No clue as to how you'd actually create the spherical textures though. lemmie know if you find out.

Thanks!  I'll found a free PS plugin to do this:

Spherical Mapping Corrector under free software:
http://www.richarddrosenman.com/software/downloads/

Cheers

EDIT: Synchronicity!  :D

EDIT2: I believe that Platte Carre/Equidistant Cylindrical mapping would be accomplished with two passes of PS's Distort/Spherize filter, one vertical and one horizontal.  To calculate the filtering amounts, I'd start with this reference:

Wikipedia - Equirectangular_projection

Some day, I may actually try it ..  ;)