A Cliffside Pool

Started by Rezzin8, May 11, 2008, 08:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rezzin8

Hi. Thought I'd post this here. The image is quite rough and dry looking, displacements must be a bit too harsh. Anyhoo, I love the transparency effects for the water in the new alpha!  ;D

It took just over 4 hours on a Core 2 Duo 2.2. Funny that, I also rendered it on a P4 3.2 with hyperthreading and it took over 9 hours without the trees!

Paul.

rcallicotte

Very good.  A little more grass or working just off the shore with and around and under the trees with shrubs or grass, then this will be a nice scene. 

[edited for grammar   ;D]
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Rezzin8

Agreed.  ;) I forgot to say, this was lightnings grass pack too. Here's a bigger version. http://www.stickywhippet.com/artwork/Mojoworld/CliffsidePool.jpg It appears a bit small on here.

Marking this one up to experience! I need to work on my lighting too. I'm sure this is way too bright, perhaps this is what is making it so dry looking.

Tangled-Universe

Hey Paul,

I was just about to send you a message at renderosity if you would like to show and discuss your work over here :)

I think this is already a very good image. The shoreline surfacing and green details/spots are a nice touch and add to the transparency effects which indeed look good.
I agree with Calico about adding some more elements around and under the trees.
Another thing you might try next time is to reduce the wavescales of the water, I think they are slightly too big. The trees at the shore look nice but could use some higher renderquality-settings and the colors are a bit bland to my taste.
Other things I like about the image are the shapes of the cliffs/rocks and the line-shaped displaced along those cliffs. A very nice touch.

Martin

Rezzin8

Cheers Martin. I think I should be posting here really anyway to get the feedback I really need to improve. I'm still learning a lot with TG2. I've only just noticed the "render quality" pull down for objects. I'll post more soon.

Rezzin8

A bit of an update. I've added a fair bit to the image. I'm a lot happier with it now and I have a bit of a direction to head for. I need to find some more rain forest style vegitation, particularly bushes. I didn't like the trees I had in the foreground, they didn't render that well also they didn't really fit the scene. I have more work to do with lighting and texture but thought I'd better post some progress. I'm not really getting a lot of time on this so it's dragging on a bit. Oh I have to say I'm learning a lot about TG2 as I go, mostly with rendering speeds verus details. For example this render took 1 hour 29 minutes compared with the above times! And it has more stuff!  :o

The mesh featured was found on t'internet, cleaned up and subdivided for detail in modo. The vegitation at the moment is just from the free xfrog samples, lol.

Like I said, it's a wip but let me know what you guys think so far.  :P

Oshyan

Like the use of objects and that water looks just *gorgeous*. But it feels like the focal point and/or framing of the image is odd. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be lookign at it and it all seems a bit confusing, too many things competing for attention. I feel like I want to turn my view leftward a bit. Maybe a view from that cliff face over on the right of the image looking back to the left, more toward the sun?

- Oshyan

Seth

i don't like the pov but the rest of it is just great !

Phylloxera

It is very special - Without wanting to offend it to you is almost anything - Your first image had a direction and showed things which you had wanted to express, this one does not want to say large thing, there is of all and then nothing at the same time! It is obviously only one very personal point of view! (question of taste!)

Seth

agree... technically i like it, i like every part i see but, i don't know what you wanted us to see... as Oshyan said, there is no focal point... change your pov and perhaps it will be a great one ;)

Rezzin8

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure I want to change the point of view just yet. I need to get all of the elements in the image first. I'm looking for suitable trees and bushes for the image, also I have an object that will be the focus of the image but it's not quite finished yet, I'm having a bit of trouble making a golden surface look good. I should have explained, hehe. Well, we'll see what you say on the next update.

Cheers!

Rezzin8

Another update, but I've gone as far as I want to take it. There's a lot more I could have done but the main frustration is TG2 + 32bit Vista = "out of ram very quickly". I think I'll stick to scenes with less objects for now.  ;D

Here's a 1600x600 version

It's been a big learning experience for TG2, particularly to do with rendertime verus detail. Time for something else.  :P

inkydigit

nice job!....anychance of a link to the Buddha? I have a Buddha model, but it is pretty lo res looking, ok for some shots but doesnty look as good as this one!

rcallicotte

Quite different POV.  Excellent lighting!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bri

Nice lighting. I love the blur, especially in the bright spots. It kind of adds to the fantasy feeling I got from the landscape and statue. :D

Although, I kind of wish that the fog in the background was a bit darker. I think it's detracting from the foreground, where everything is at.