Wrong Side of Town

Started by rcallicotte, May 18, 2008, 07:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Without TG2 as the base, this wouldn't be nearly as fun.  Comments are welcome.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1677376&member
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Kevin F

Sorry Calico, but I just don't go for this sort of stuff at all. It just appears too flat and cartoon like. Still each to their own.
Edit:Distant waterfalls aren't too bad how did you do them?

rcallicotte

Kevin, I knew this wouldn't compete for the picture of the week, when I posted it.  ;D  Besides, I have problems with the fact the PNG (for the woman) has a white outline I just couldn't remove...and the distant buildings aren't what I want.  I guess I was in a hurry to post.

Anyway, I used brushes from Renderosity for the distant falls. 

Mohawk20

Mostly the problem is integration...

The TG2 backdrop is not very saturated and has low contrast. The Buildings in the distance are therefore much too saturated.
So if you work in layers, you should tweak them to have similar contrast and saturation.

The white edge around the girl shouldn't be too hard to get rid of if take the time...

I like the idea of the scene. Has an adventurous feel to it. What software did you use to postpro this in? Do have it saved as a layerd file? I'd like to play with it a bit to see if I can get it a little better integrated if you like.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Mohawk, I used Photoshop for to bring it together.

As for the white edge around the PNG, I looked and didn't find what I would call a reliable way to remove that edge.  I'm trying another file format to see if I can eliminate the edge.

I plan to rework this and am grateful for the suggestions.  I'll repost, once I re-do what needs done. 

As for distant saturation and contrast, you're right that they aren't desaturated enough.  At that distance, they should be grayer.

glen5700

Hi Calico,
I'm assuming the girl is a layer in Photoshop, with the girl layer selected goto layers menu and all the way to the bottom to matting and then defringe. Choose the pixel value, I would start with 1 and go from there.
This should take care of your problem.

HTH,
Glen

Mohawk20

Quote from: glen5700 on May 19, 2008, 01:21:16 PM
Hi Calico,
I'm assuming the girl is a layer in Photoshop, with the girl layer selected goto layers menu and all the way to the bottom to matting and then defringe. Choose the pixel value, I would start with 1 and go from there.
This should take care of your problem.

HTH,
Glen

Right... another way is to select the outline of the girl, go to 'Select' - 'Refine Edge...' (or just press 'Alt+Ctrl+R') and use 'Contract / Expand'. Or use the 'Select' - 'Modify >' - 'Contract' dialog.

You can also use a layermask and a brush if you have the time...
Howgh!

cyphyr

I agree pretty much with what everyone else has said about this image. It for sure has great potential but why don't you render the entire thing in TG2?
Compositing renders or images created in different apps is an arcane art and very difficult to achieve well. Saw Dusk till Dawn again last nigh and saw just how bad the matt painting at the end was. And that was big budget and not too long ago.
Good luck with progressing it further.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

Thanks everyone.  The encouragement and tools to help me are appreciated.

I'm waiting for things to work better in TG2 for objects, before I dedicate that much to the TG2 renderer.  But, it's crossed my mind.

Muied Lumens

Reminds me of Tomb Raider. Esp with the Rex in there.  :)

rcallicotte

After some more work to clean this up and touch this up, this is the final. 

Seth

50seconds later and there will be only a dinosaur and no girl !
good improvement

old_blaggard

Nice job!  I've never been a fan of the quality of Poser models, but you've integrated this one into the scene nicely.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Mohawk20

Did you know you can render a TG scene and use that image as a background in poser? That way there will be no edges around the poser objects. Image quality degrades a bit however...
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Mohawk, I might try that.  I like using the TG2 renderer as much as possible.  Once things change on the level of textures, I'll just render characters like this Lara-wanna-be in TG2.