Shading imported object

Started by mt_sabao, January 09, 2007, 06:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mt_sabao

Hi Everybody,
I know this is kinda the basics but i still havent seen much exploring around this, so i woould like to ask you kindly for your help.
So, i have this imported object (yes i managed to import it) and i want to shade it. Ok, so in principle it should work much like a planet does (by default, it has a power fractal -called base colors- connected to its surface shader). So, i go in to my object reader, go internal network, and then plug a power fractal to the surface shader...the thing is, i get really strange results, is this not the right way to do it?
Can anyone provide some insights on this?
Cheers and thanks in advance,
Luis

Njen

Care to show us an example image and tgd file?

Oshyan

Can you be more specific about the "strange results"? It may be that displacement is on by default and it's making the model "explode". You could try a Surface Layer or Default Shader instead of a Power Fractal to see if you get more expected results.

- Oshyan

mt_sabao

ok, so i import obj, saved as tgo and imported again.

Fisrt pic applied powerfractal (with the exact same settings as the default base colors of the planet surface), and the displacement is unchecked.

Second picture i checked the displacement (1), so the strangeness appears (i mean, the black dark areas).

Third pic, same as before but displacement amplitude 20.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Luis

mt_sabao

As a side note, this is just the planet with the same power fractal applied to its surface, amplitude of displacement 20 just like in the last image above. No black-dark-no-shading areas...
Cheers
Luis

Oshyan

This is a problem we're aware of. Using displacement on objects can be problematic and is largely recommended against at this time. If you use very small values to get a more bump map-like effect it works well, but major displacement of imported objects is inconsistent at best. This will be improved in the future.

- Oshyan

mt_sabao

ah, ok Java thanks for the answer. This explains why i was having trouble controling this. Ok, then it's a matter of waiting

manleystanley

Well that explains why the RDNA rocks I tried to use looked so bad. I'll try them again with the displacement set to .25 and see how they look. Thanks.
"So you think you can tell, heaven from hell, blue skys from pain.
can you tell a green field, from a cold steel rail? a smile from a veil?
do you think you can tell?" P.F.

rcallicotte

http://www.ashundar.com/CPG/displayimage.php?pos=-3684

I was wondering about the displacements maps on this mech after I rendered it.  I used the Nvidia tool plugin in Photoshop for my bump maps and used small displacement settings in TG2.  I'm planning to experiment more, but it looks like I should wait to experiment too much with larger values.  It looks pretty good, considering the sun is nearly behind the mech.  Still, I wonder if I could have gotten more out of the bump maps.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Robert T A Machellvaine

that makes sense to resave it and import it again. thanks for the post. :D