a question about RAM

Started by inkydigit, May 23, 2008, 08:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkydigit

I have recently got a new machine(imac 24", 1.8ghz, 1gb RAM)...I am considering getting some more RAM...there is space for 4gbs(2X2)...should I get 1gb or 2gb, boosting my overall RAM to 2 or 3 gb's respectively? basically I am fairly restricted by what I can afford, although if the benefits of buying more are going to affect my workflow considerably then I would be tempted to fork out a bit more cash!
cheers
Jason
:)

Tangled-Universe

I'm not familiar with mac OS'es and their max. addressable space. Windows can address 2GB RAM max for a program and 3GB with the /3GB "cheat".
Don't know the limitations of a mac OS, but TG2 is a 32-bit program so it can address up to max 4 GB.
I think for TG2 and an OS it would be very nice to have 3GB RAM now.
I'm rendering a very heavy scene (many populations and models and high quality rendersettings) now and it 'just' uses just <1,5 GB.
I think 2 GB will be a good improvement already, but if you can afford it I'd go for that extra one GB.

Martin

old_blaggard

Getting more RAM will help you somewhat.  TG2 can address a total of 4GB of RAM distributed throughout physical RAM and virtual memory.  The more RAM you add to your machine, the more you will be able to multitask while running Terragen and the better Terragen will be able to deal with large objects and large populations of objects.  I picked up a 2GB stick on sale for $30 a few months ago to bump my RAM from 2GB to 3GB, and I have noticed that it helps significantly.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Mohawk20

If you're working with Windows XP 32-bit, you don't need more than 3 Gb total, because it can't handle any more than that. I have 6 Gb in this machine, so half of it never gets used..!

(I'm going to upgrade to XP 64-bit, no really...)
Howgh!

inkydigit

Quote from: Mohawk20 on May 23, 2008, 10:51:22 AM
If you're working with Windows XP 32-bit, you don't need more than 3 Gb total, because it can't handle any more than that. I have 6 Gb in this machine, so half of it never gets used..!

(I'm going to upgrade to XP 64-bit, no really...)

pmsl!!

joshbakr

Jason, it's best to install your sticks in pairs. If you have 4 slots you could buy 3 more 1 gig sticks to match what you already have, or if you can find a deal on 2 - two gig sticks would be better.  Something I learned in A Plus/Net Plus School. 

inkydigit

thanks for all of your helpful comments!
With this info I did a bit more research, it seems that my machine will currently only use 3GB:

"Although these iMacs will accept up to a 2 GB SO-DIMM in each of the two memory slots, the iMac will only support 3 GB total memory. If you want to maximize the amount of SDRAM in your computer, install a 2 GB SO-DIMM in one slot and a 1GB SO-DIMM in the other."

ps I underestimated the processor speed...it's actually 2.4ghz!
;)

joshbakr

My Bad, I have PC on the Brain.  :P