Circular Classical temple pack

Started by Mr_Lamppost, May 23, 2008, 10:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Lamppost

Uploaded at Ashundar yesterday.

http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item402

This pack contains models of a classical style circular temple consisting of a stepped base on which stands a central plinth for a statue or other object, not included. This is surrounded by eight columns which support an open topped cornice in the form of a thick ring.

The pack contains the complete temple, a semi-collapsed ruined version and all the separate elements so that fallen parts can be added to the ruin. As all of the component parts are included it should be possible to create alternate variations on the basic theme,.

Share and Enjoy.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Cyber-Angel

My I ask which order of column is represented here: Doric, Ionic, Corinthian or Tuscan as it would help when laying out an image? Also are these structures Greek or Roman in Origin?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel     

Alf15000

inkydigit

How to Tell Apart Greek Columns(from about.com)

Here's How:

Look at the column(s).
Look at the top of the column - the "capital".
If the capital is highly decorated, with curling, leaflike, ornate carvings, it is Corinthian, the latest of the three styles. The Temple of the Olympian Zeus in Athens shows Corinthian-style columns.
If the capital is plain, it is either Doric or Ionian.
Look at the column shaft. If it appears slender to the eye, it is probably Ionic.
If the shaft seems bulky or thick, it is most likely Doric.
Confirm the column type by looking at the capital again.
Does the capital have two rounded spirals which look like a wrapped scroll viewed from the end? It is probably Ionic. The small Temple to Athena Nike at the Acropolis is Ionic in style.
Most Ionic column capitals are simple in design. If the column capital has the two scroll designs, but is more ornate than usual, yet not as ornate as the florid Corinthian capitals, it is Aeolic, a more complicated design version of the Ionic.
If the capital is very plain and small, almost absent, it is Doric, the earliest style, (though it was sometimes used to lend an air of purity and antiquity to later buildings.) The soaring columns on the Parthenon are Doric, as are the columns of the Temple of Aphaia on the island of Aegina.
Tips:
Broken column? Look on the ground - the capital may be set nearby.
Usually, the plainer the column, the earlier the structure. The more ornate in design, the later it is.
Finances influenced styles also - Corinthian capitals took longer to carve and were more expensive. Ancient builders on a budget might choose to "remember the good old days" instead and use a plainer Doric or Ionic column.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mr_Lamppost

To be honest, no idea.  It's a bit of a mish-mash so probably Victorian.  ;D

Here's a render of one of the columns if that helps.

lightning

hey these look realy cool make them yourself?

Mr_Lamppost

Did I make them myself? Yes. 

I have had a think and if I had to put a style on the columns I would have to call them simplified Corinthian.