"The Edge of Water-2"

Started by Phylloxera, June 10, 2008, 02:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on June 11, 2008, 07:56:00 PM
The scale of the waves and the way they are restricted to the areas away from the shore are a vast improvement in this new version, much more realistic. 

I am not convinced by the repeated fish.

I totally agree, great work on the water and the grasses look very smooth and detailed. I don't find the fish that distracting, though I understand the crits. Stones and textures are fine ass well.

Martin

jo

Hi,

This is a pretty cool image, it combines my work and play  :). When I'm not working, chances are I'm trout fishing. I went fishing for a few hours today in fact ( although I worked in the weekend to allow for it  ::)). One of the lakes I fish is really quite similar to this.

Not surprisingly perhaps, I've seen a lot of fish in the water. I have to agree a bit about the positions of the fish, but OTOH when you see a couple of fish cruising together I'm sure there are times that if you took a photo they've have very similar "poses". I'm sure Moose has a good point though. Anyway, it's a fun image for me to see.

Regards,

Jo

jo

BTW, I should add that those fish look hard to catch. From that viewpoint I would say they've almost certainly seen me already, and with that quite pronounced curve they may be about to bolt, especially because the water looks quite shallow and they're probably spooky. If I've kept still enough they may pass on by. With the water being so still close in I'd need a long leader and fine tippet, well degreased. As they're very close in I won't be able to put a cast between them and the bank. I'll have to try and somehow keep the line well outside them but still get the fly close because being fairly near the surface they'll only have a small window and won't spot things unless it's nearby. Probably a curve cast would be best, and I'd be lucky not to muck that up. It'll have to be gentle or they'll spook. Ideally I think I'd use a small emerger. Alternatively they may come to check out a large terrestrial plopped down nearby. In anycase, whatever I had tied on right then would have to do because they look like they're moving fairly fast and I wouldn't have time to put anything else on anyway. I could also wait for them to come back around and ambush them, but they look a bit more like rainbows which don't stick to beats in the same way browns do.

Regards,

Jo