Pre-purchase questions etc....

Started by lealoc, June 17, 2008, 05:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lealoc

Hi,

I've been a Terragen user for quite a long time and have been looking forward to T2 since the rumours began. As a very enthusiastic amateur with little talent for graphics, Terragen was always a wand I could wave to get some very impressive results with relatively little work on my part. Perfect for the frustrated artist in me. That isn't to say I'm not prepared to climb the very steep learning curve of T2.

So, having enough money to purchase the pre-release version of Deep, I'm still hedging and need some convincing one way or another. After reading a number of posts from people who have all but given up on T2 until the threading issues and render times are sorted, I'm not sure what to do.

I think this thread is for me to ask: Do I buy it now or wait until final? If I wait, presumably the price will increase? I've played very briefly with T2, but with the lack of speed of my current PC, soon gave up trying to produce anything worthwhile.

Any sales pitch would be most welcome.  ;D

Regards,
Lealoc

rcallicotte

Try the tutorial by Oshyan to get a feel for the basics.  Then, try a couple of TGDs or TGCs that are cloud related or simply ground (or fake stone) texturing.  This should give you a good idea about its general feel.  As for issues, we sometimes complain and especially recently, but this isn't because we don't see potential in TG2 or don't have hope in what's to come.  We're usually disappointed because it isn't happening fast enough for us. 

Don't forget, too, that the price of TG2 will go up when it goes Gold and this will happen sometime after the coming-around-the corner Beta.

Considering the lower price and that TG2 has already been used to make money in media outlets and movies and TV, I'd recommend getting the Deep Animation version.  The animation module will be a priority for Planetside, once the final programming has gone Gold.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mr_Lamppost

If you are undecided you may find this thread helpful:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4164.0

The render times can be quite long with the trial version but there are many strategies for reducing the development and testing stages of a scene so you often only have to worry about the final full quality render, I usually let these run overnight or while I am out at work etc.  If you do register for TG2 you will get access to the faster alpha although there are stability issues related to a memory leak but this is now well known and easy to work around. 

As said above persevere with the trial version of TG2, there are plenty of examples and tips to be found to help you along.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

PG

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on June 17, 2008, 04:02:25 PMthere are stability issues related to a memory leak but this is now well known and easy to work around. 

Workaround? wtf??? since when?

Oh by the way I'd heartily recommend Deep + Animation too, you get to do absolutely enourmous renders with "infinite" quality and if you've got 2 or more processors then you'll finally get to use 'em.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mr_Lamppost

Quote from: PG on June 17, 2008, 04:20:59 PM
Workaround? wtf??? since when?

Would you not call saving and restarting as soon as you start to get errors a way of working around the problem?
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

PG

oh. well no, personally I wouldn't but that's mainly because I've had to do that with a program called DCED which is a scripting tool for the game Mafia. It wasn't really a workaround so much as a pain in the arse. But it's what needs to be done till the beta comes out.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

lealoc

Thank you for all the replies, much appreciated.

My budget doesn't stretch to Deep + animation. As I'm just doing this for fun, I can't justify the extra $100. Animation is not a feature I'd use much anyway. My main interest is the photo realistic pictures and the fun in creating them.

The forums posts do seem to make it clear that there is still quite a way to go with TG2 development, but I bear in mind that TG1 never got fully out of beta and it was (and still is) capable of creating some stunning scenes. Even if TG2 doesn't work well out of the box right now, I'm happy to wait until Planetside manage to realease something more substantial.

I think I'm sold ;D