From Across The Pond

Started by dandelO, June 21, 2008, 09:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

When Tom washed up on this shore after falling asleep fishing in his canoe, he was more than a little bemused!

"Where am I? What place of Man?" Said he as he cupped his hand to the water for a well needed drink.
"Y'er in Scotland, pal." Cried a native across the shore.(who just happened to have a canoe bearing a striking resemblance to Tom's own) "But dinny drink thon water though, it's foo o' coo's shyte n' pish!"
"I'm sorry, friend." Replied Tom. "But, I don't understand you, I'm American, could you repeat that in English please?"
"Ahhh, an American! I do apologise, my friend" Replied the native jovially. "I said use two hands, you'll get more that way!"  :D ;)

Thanks to Jack for sharing the bushes and, of course, to Tom for his lovely canoe models!
Extra credit on this one goes to Dr. Druids Sleep for the joke which I have plaigiarised for this render.

[attachimg=#]

rcallicotte

Hey, cool scene.  The trees on the upper left look a bit out of place.  Maybe a swath of these same trees along the hillside would look more realistic.  I don't know.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Phylloxera

Pretty scene, I would see it well without the trees at the top, this canoe on the bank and with maturelles grasses. Pretty ground, good structures, the stones are successful!

Mr_Lamppost

I agree, the trees on the top of the hill opposite look a little out of place.  The foreground would look nice with real grass, not to long though.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

dandelO

Cheers, folks.
I agree about the grass and the trees for this one too. I wasn't too happy with the result, this is the second version of this scene, the first had no trees or bushes and the background terrain was very bland and monotone looking, I've added some extra detail to the terrain for the above version. Here's the first attempt...
I think I'll just leave this scene now, I can't be bothered pussing about with it anymore.

Joel: Lol, I'm reminded of our first encounter with each other over at Renderosity. What did he just say? ;).
I assume you mean you'd like to see it with some grass models, no trees, and the canoe in the water? I did have one of them just in the water at the near bank but I decided to move it across to the other side. See second attatchment...

Thankyou, all!

Seth

last one is the better one to my eyes...
i'll prefer a 16/9 format though ;)

rcallicotte

I agree with Seth.  The last one looks really good...as do the others, but this one is better.

dandelO

So, without any vegetation looks better? I thought so but, when you see it rendered bigger(the last one is the very same as the second one, just the canoe's position has changed and the clouds are a little more prominant) it seems very empty.
OK, I might go backwards and remove/change the vegetation and trees and I'll consider some grass models for the foreground too.
The terrain needs the extra detail fractals that the first image I posted(last one rendered though) has got, the mountains look terrible in these earlier shots I think, nice enough when it's small like the last image but bigger looks piss-poor...

dandelO

Quote from: Phylloxera on June 23, 2008, 06:05:51 AM
Great modifications !!

Actually, Joel, these are older ones, not modified from the first but, thankyou! ;)

I have a new version done now though that I should have finished by tonight...

dandelO

Last shot. No trees, some grass - one population of built in clumps and one of Jacks Lush variety.
A little postwork to soften the grass up as I'm only allowed to use AA level 3, for now.

I'm just leaving this now. It isn't working for me.

Thanks for looking!

[attachimg=#]

lightning

i like the latest you have a real nak for making awesome rocks!!!
the problem is the background cliffs they need a lot more surface work it doesnt help though that you are using the free version i do hope you buy deep soon when you got a bit of dosh ;)

rcallicotte

This last one could almost pass for a photo.

sonshine777

Great scene! I like the little tale to describe the setting. I am also glad to see that my canoes are fit enough to make it across the big pond.  ;D

Also here is a link to a more complete set of photos of the real canoe I built and finished last August:
http://picasaweb.google.com/TomSonshine777/TomS15RangerCanoe

dandelO

Ha ha, cheers, Tom! ;)

Wow, I'd seen your launch images before but those making of shots are fantastic.
Since you first showed us the canoe launch I've really had my heart set on doing it too. I have been researching this(mostly internet and Discovery channel,  ;D) for some time now and all I'm in need of is a place to build, being that I live in a flat on the second floor I have no workshop/garage. Apparently, a canoe of this nature, and to an experienced woodworker, could be built in a matter of 30-40 man hours! I feel that I'd need a fair bit longer than that :D but, it would give me the greatest sense of achievement, to be sitting on the river in something I'd actually built.
I'll build my canoe, some day...
Thanks for the inspiration, Tom! :)

(By the way, did you do your own weaving, I can't see any photos of it.)

EDIT: Found the seat caning shot... Nicely done!

Martin.