Waterside Hills

Started by neuspadrin, July 04, 2008, 02:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neuspadrin

39h 14m 39s to render on TP4 :)
1 detail, 6 AA, 3 GI
1920x1200

Thanks to lightning for grass and trees. 

full size 1920x1200 at deviant art:
http://neuspadrin.deviantart.com/art/Waterside-Hills-90649761

nvseal

Nice! This is looking very good. The trees and grass are very lush looking and alive. I only have two "problems" with the scene as is. First, I think the clouds could look better for the scene. This isn't really anything major as the clouds DO look good as is. Then again, maybe that's just me  ;D. Second, the shore line just doesn't fit with the rest of the scene. It has too much of a fractal look and needs more detail. The color could use some work too (too uniform). I think that if you can bring the shore up to the quality of the rest of the image it would look absolutely fantastic.

neuspadrin

yeh tis a wip, and i plan on working mainly on the coastline, tree variety and maybe a lil something more for the sky.  i was thinking about keeping the closer up coast sandish, but changing the other ones which are steeper to be rock

Tangled-Universe

Very interesting image, it certainly has potential.

I agree with Stephen (NVSeal) about the clouds and shore. I'd like to add that one thing is very good about the shore; the overhanging grasses :)
It's one advantage that these grassmodels give this nice coverage themselves without having to fiddle that much to make something look like this.
Nonetheless you've made good use of it and it looks really really good!

There's one other thing I'd certainly change and that's the size of and roughness of the waves. I'd make it much less rough and also quite much smaller wavescale.
The transparency color is well chosen I think, so I'd stick to that.

Maybe adding one or two extra tree-populations would give that extra variation and natural look.
You could then also render it a tad smaller with higher AA settings to give the trees a smoother look.

Adding a fill light opposite to your main light and with 10-15% of the main light's strength would fill the shadows nicely.
Especially in the middle of the image the shadows of the trees miss definition and the grasses are not or barely visible.
Filling the shadows with a fill light or increasing the GI strength (environment light settings) will improve this.

Like many are used from me quite some suggestion, but I'd like to pronounce/rephrase this is good work with potential, so I hope you'll post an update.

Martin

lightning

WOW!!! this looks superb my plants look really brilliant in this scene so a big thumbs up from me ;)
the water also looks superb i also like how you have left it the default green colour it really fits in with the scene!!
the shore however needs a lot more work if you fix that up this will be a really superb image!!!

neuspadrin

yeh i left the water pretty default.  I did play with it a little and the color and such, but i just couldn't find one that i really liked when it rendered, and the green looked decent so i kept with that til i had more time to play with it. 

rcallicotte

nvseal's observation is head-on.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

This looks really nice.  I do think it could use more work, but its already great as is.

I agree with the tips and comments above.  But, personally, I'm still not "sold" fully on using fill lights (though some of the images I've seen where they are used are very nice!).   I think they just aren't as accurate and better results *may* be gained by simply upping GI values instead.  I've been doing a lot of studies on this (and it seems to work nicely), but I have realized there is no magic setting.  You just have to dial it in and feel it out for each image.  (same with the fill lights I'm sure).
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Phylloxera

I do not like the clouds (personal taste!) and I wonder whether the gray stones on the bank are useful? As for the remainder it is successful, good distribution of the trees and especially of grass! Overall good work!

GioMez

I really like this! Great light and vegetation!
Good work!

Zylot

I'm gonna echo the points made on the clouds, and also, it seems the rocks are all pointing out towards the middle of the lake, for some reason.. and it's bothering me.  Good vegitation though.