Functions...Arrrrgh

Started by bobbystahr, July 06, 2008, 09:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Hi Jo

Thanks for that, sounds just what i need

Mick

ZStar

I am in full agreement with arisdemos and schmeerlap. 

I think an organized library of "canned" textures/node networks would be a big help.  Not only would it get people up and running faster, it would provide a ready made set of functional examples to learn from.  Sure, you can search this forum and find almost anything you want but it can be tedious to track down the best match for what you are trying to achieve.  It can be even more difficult to piece together an understanding of how to use or modify a specific .tgc (for example) from the often disjointed and fragmentary comments posted in a thread.  The existing tutorials are a good start but they only scratch the surface of what TG can do.

arisdemos

Hi Jo: The Fuji thing was only said in fun, and I realize one can easily create a DEM replica of Fuji-San and possibly manipulate the cloud structure to create a volcano like eruption structure. I think I should reiterate with some vigor that procedural driven geometries/textures with an archive of clip files that can be easily accessed and implimented on the tgd geography structure could possibly become a useful tool kit to augment the somewhat limited capabilities of the tgo function. I have observed the voronoi manipulation of terrains by Volker, and certain ones, if viewed in miniture could almost look like the natural formed structure of a mushroom clusters. In Terragen like in most things The Devil is in the details, and it is obvious that this program that can somewhat easily create the majesty of an entire planet yet seems at least historically to have had some of the greatest user difficulty in creating just a drop of water. Much is obviously being mastered by the PS collective effort towards natural form generation, but let us not forget those little things like function making a good ergonomic fit to human creative realities.

Oshyan

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 14, 2008, 09:53:21 AM
"I just had a quick go at using a ring image map to control clouds"

Now there's an idea...I'd love to see the network for this, and what mapping you used for the rings, etc. Had a play with an idea like this a while back but was met with resounding failure so I retreated ....but the interest remains.. ...

The node network would be simple - just plug an Image Map Shader into the Blend Shader input of your Cloud Density Function and turn on Blend By Shader, then load the image in your Image Map Shader. Now, depending on where the clouds you want to mask are, you can either use PlanY projection, an appropriate image scale (in meters), and adjust the position to mask the clouds in the area you need, or (perhaps easier) position a camera looking down on your scene just where you'd want your ring of clouds to be, then use that to connect to the Image Map Shader and set it to Through Camera Projection.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

I just thought I'd mention I've added ( but not proofread very well :-) documentation for the Notifier node ( available in TP4 ) I mentioned to Mick. You can find it here.

Sorry I haven't done examples using the conditional node yet, I've been busy with other things.

Also, I'm sorry to have been misleading about the documentation section, I had thought it was still open for editing. Shame it isn't really, it would be good if we could get a full Wiki going.

Regards,

Jo