Render Finished?

Started by jaf, July 06, 2008, 12:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaf

I've been noticing this on build 1.9.98.1 -- when I do a quick render, in the render view, it says "Finished rendering: 0.00.17s, 58695 micro.....", but the "Pause" button, which should change to "Render" stays in Pause.  Also, at the 17 second mark when the render finishes, the view goes "blank" for 10 to 15 seconds and then the scene suddenly appears (but still in pause.)

I tried setting pause on the preview render to see if the quick render was waiting for a preview to finish, but didn't see any difference.

It's seems this problem shows up after a few renders.  At first it works normal, but after a while it starts this "pause" problem. 
I'm using two threads. 

Here's a screen capture of the quick render view when the problem occurs:
[attach=#]

[edit]  also, the task manager shows the Terragen process at 46% even though there's no apparent rendering (including previews) taking place.
I guess no one else has seen this.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

jaf

Well, I guess there's not much interest here in my post.  I thought someone would say "I haven't seen that" or point me to a thread where it was mentioned.

But I've got my new World Machine 2 64 bit version to play with.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

rcallicotte

This should probably go to the support thread.

I haven't seen this, unless the memory is overridden with other activity, but even then I haven't seen this exact situation.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

lightning

this happened to me 2 days ago on tp4 i had to quite out of the render and find it in the backups this has only happened once though

Matt

The button problem does happen occasionally. I don't think it's serious, although it could possibly be a symptom of some deeper problem which we don't yet understand.

10-15 seconds seems a long time to finish an image which only took 17 second to complete, so there could be a more serious problem here.

Thanks for reporting it.

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

jaf

A little more information.

I was watching the task manager process display while the quick render was active.  I had the preview render on pause.  When the render hit the point of "render finished and the view window went blank, the tg2 process CPU usage stayed at the 46 - 50 % and the memory usage slowly ratcheted up (and sometimes down, as normal when rendering.)  But the memory usage eventually increase by arounf 30,000k during the "blank" time, then when the render view reappeared, the memory usage dropped to the pre-render amount (but the render button still remained labeled "pause".) 

It almost looked like the preview render might still be active even though it was in pause mode and there was no visual activity in the preview window.

I was thinking I may have triggered this problem by clicking or changing parameters during a render.  It's easy to forget and do that.  I wonder if it wouldn't be better to lock out changes while renders are active?

Oshyan

Changing parameters while rendering is definitely a bad idea, especially when rendering with multithreading. We will probably disable it in the future if possible.

As for this problem, although it is unusual to take that long to "finalize" on such a short render, the finalizing "freeze" is a known issue and simply requires some patience. In the future we will hopefully be able to make TG2 more responsive throughout the rendering process.

- Oshyan

Mandrake

If that happened on one of my puters I would think that a virus had jumped into the system.

jaf

That would be a pretty selective virus then.  That computer is not attached to the Internet or a network.  All the other applications I use, such as Lightwave, Vue, Photoshop CS3, Zbrush, World Machine 2, etc, work fine.  A virus that only effects my TG2 quick render?  :D

Mandrake

I'm not in front of the computer.  ::) You never mentioned anything else you run. It was a reasonable response

jaf

No problem.  It's always good to consider a virus when problems show up, especially on a windows machine.