Navigation Crashes

Started by bobbystahr, July 07, 2008, 12:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Well...I found a tute I had for some reason ignored[parts 1-4 Pyramid tute] anfd managed to get ti all in my brain ad executed on the workstation cross the room. Deceided to try using image maps for shadinf[colours] and dispersal of an object. Managed to get all this going rather nicely but when I try to navigate to any position but the default camera position TG2TP crashes immediately. Fortunately I am a rabid saver so nought was lost except time...3 times actually hence this letter...wassup with that?
It doesn't happen without the Image Shaders in play[actually deleted not just disabled].. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

rcallicotte

I've seen this happen when a strange or extreme displacement is in place.  I'm not sure if that is what is causing this or not.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

RArcher

Hey Bobby.  Make sure you have a camera specified in each of the Image Shaders.  I believe Matt has fixed this in the latest releases but I know you are using the unregistered version where this was a problem when using Through Camera projection.

bobbystahr

Well I never ever use thru camera so that's not the problem. I did have a Shader controlled displacement [moderate displacement mind you] and was able to navigate once I removed that from the chain and was feeling of so proud at solving this, so I added a population controlled with an image map shader, hit populate and bye bye TG2TP again. Seems to be related to the image map shader some how when used for anything but images.. ...
*******EDIT**************
bit of a D'oh moment ...seems that although the object dispersal map was set to Y, the map controlling the image map was on Through Camera....testing a render sans image displacement as we speek.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Seth

Quote from: RArcher on July 07, 2008, 01:08:52 PM
I believe Matt has fixed this in the latest releases

nope, still crashes :)

bobbystahr

Well thanks to that tute I've gotten this far with functions and still only have a vague idea what I'm doing but it ain't as scary now.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Mr_Lamppost

The birth of the next Function Monster.  ;D

One thing you will find when using functions is that you become far more conscious of scale.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Mr_Lamppost on July 07, 2008, 03:35:10 PM
The birth of the next Function Monster.  ;D

One thing you will find when using functions is that you become far more conscious of scale.

And as I found out in Imagine3d where I used to use almost exclusivly procedural textures, that there is a rendering penalty over using exclusivly image maps for textures. Procedurals are lovely things and infinitly zoomable without losing their essential character, but take quite a bit more resources to render so take a lot more time...in my experience any way. Doubt I'll ever be a Function Monster as I don't currently have the system to render them in my lifetime were I to get totally into them to the exclusion of maps, but I do admit to liking them a lot and am relieved and pleased that I've been able to actually pull off a Procedural terrain.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New