Impact2

Started by Mahnmut, July 08, 2008, 07:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnmut

Something I did instead of learning for my exams.
Virex´ "red marble" reminded me of something I tried to draw back in school.
I used Pachalmars´stars and Nebula clip, which is great, thanks.
Everything else is mine, c&c are welcome.

Any comments?
no?
Tell me, even if it´s bad!

rcallicotte

How did you do the crater?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Yoda Almighty

it doesn't look like there is actually much force there. it looks like a crater that has been there for 40,000,000 years has spontaneously caught fire.

try adding a whole bunch of debree flying away from the crater, with a serious motion blur. generally when a meteor hits a planet without an atmosphere, it is going several thousand miles an hour or more. so an impact of that magnitude (going off of the size of your crater) would probably blast a third of the planet into space. try and replicate what would happen when that much force happens, and you will have a winner.

all music instruments are ridiculously expensive to repair, with the possible exception of the triangle.

Terry Pratchet, Masqurade

Mahnmut

@ calico:
That´s simple, it´s a crater shader.
You find it under displacement shaders.

@ Yoda:
Of course you are right. I tried to make a lot of ejecta but wasn´t happy with the result.
I am using the free version, there is no motion blur for me.
On the other hand, the crater has more or less the proportions of Herschel on Mimas. Nobody knows why, but Mimas hasn´t been blown apart, so somewhen while Mimas cooled down there could have been a state similar to my image.
Should have called it "after the impact" or "afterglow"
And as you can see in the background, it´s more like a fantasy image.
Thanks
Jan

Cyber-Angel

Terragen, by its intrinsic nature I am pretty sure dose not have the requisite physics to replicate the necessary impact phenomena associated with an impact on the scale depicted here. The planet featured is clearly what's known as a "Porto" planet, that is to say it is in an advanced stage of formation but it is still early enough for its surface to be molten.

The Planet here has progressed well past both the protoplanetary disk phase and the attraction of gravity is strong enough to form rocky fragments together into a planet.

For the record the age of the Universe has been calculated to be 4.5 Billion years.

In the image under discussion, the impactor will have encountered a surface that is in a state of fluid flux and with no atmosphere to provide aerodynamic drag and aerodynamic heating as well as friction the impactor would hit the surface with its total forward velocity.

Factors to consider are:

Composition of impactor

Angel of impact

Mass and Mean Density of Impactor

Kinetic Energy of Impactor at maximum penetration depth

Mean and Average Energy loss of Impactor (Velocity over distance travelled in a viscus fluid)

Density of surface at impact point

There are these factors and dozens if no hundreds more to think about when looking at an image such as this, if one where chiefly concerned with the over all mechanics of it, if one where then there is not enough ejector material for a creator of the size depicted here. However this is not been fair to the artist, and the work should be hence seen on its own merits, and so I say well done.  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel         

rcallicotte

Then you need a smaller crater shader.  Something more realistic, unless you don't want it to be realistic.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on July 09, 2008, 02:26:25 PM
Then you need a smaller crater shader.  Something more realistic, unless you don't want it to be realistic.

Indeed, I think a smaller crater would really improve the realism. Such a big crater creates the expectation of an enormous impact and explosion.
I like the idea and execution, good work, but as usual from me I'm not fond of vivid coloring.

Martin

Mahnmut

Dear Angel of impact
Thanks for your overwhelming flood of information,
I will take all these factors into account.
Although, as far as I know, it´s the age of the solar system that is estimated at 4.5 Gy,
for the the universe it´s about 11-14. ;)
@ all:
I intended some kind of fantasy image (thats why I used Pachalmars colourful nebulae and not my own humble starfield) but its supposed to be believable fantasy. And its supposed to be beautiful ( I am in a mood for vivid coloring at the moment)
I am thinking about a mushroom cloud, although I know that those don´t form without an Atmosphere.

On the other hand I really wonder how Herschel was formed.
As you can see on the image I attached it is a really big crater, but it is flat.
Assuming that it has been filled from the depth, where does the volume come from, Mimas seems pretty round. (My little moon does not consist of ice, mimas does.)
Mimas must have had a state when it was fluid enough to shift huge amounts of volume while at the same time the rim of the crater kept its shape. That´s odd.
I didn´t show the moment of the impact because I couldn´t.
The image you see must be after the impact.
I am working on the actual impact, and when I am happy with it, I´ll show you.
Thanks for your interest,
Best Regards
Jan

Mohawk20

I like the image as it is, with nice cracks over the planet. But how did you do the clouds? Distance shader, image mask or functions?
Howgh!

Mahnmut

Thanks Mohawk.
Distance shader.
Thats how i am trying to build a mushroom cloud at the moment.
I think the clouds in the version you see resemble a phoenix, thats pure incident but I liked it.
Best regards,
Jan

Mahnmut

It isn´t more realistic but I like it better anyway.
Vivid Colors!
Stars are mine this time, nebulae are not.

Yoda Almighty

interesting.

however, the shape of the cloud is still not quite right. try something more like this:

not the greatest reference, but the best I could find.
all music instruments are ridiculously expensive to repair, with the possible exception of the triangle.

Terry Pratchet, Masqurade

Mahnmut

Thanks Yoda.
As mentioned before, I do know that mushroom clouds don´t form outside an atmosphere, but I found it boring to make a simple fireball, which would perhaps have been more realistic.
I can´t achieve realism in this topic, but how do you like it aesthetically?
I don´t know exactly what you mean by your reference, I think the round grey thing in the middle is supposed to be the impactor itself, not a cloud.
Best Regards,
Jan