Operation Flashpoint 2

Started by rcallicotte, July 11, 2008, 03:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

http://www.codemasters.com/flashpoint2/index.php?territory=EnglishUSA

Anyone know anything about this?  The scenery looks as real as I've seen it.  If it's anything like the first one, gameplay won't be another Crysis.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Good point.

But, you have to admit, Will, it looks good.  There I go with those underlines again.   :P

Oshyan

You do realize this is not in-game footage, right? It's all pre-rendered, though supposedly using "in-game models". That doesn't mean much though - it's the effects and lighting quality that make the biggest difference and they're the hardest things to do in realtime. So don't expect the actual game to look that good...

- Oshyan

Will

I think there was a non CGI trailer a while back and the screens look good. I had a PC gamer article on it somewhere and I"m assuming all the shot are taken from DX10 because it handles partials far better.

sjefen

I remember when I first saw the trailer for Resident Evil 5.
I really thought it was a pre-rendered movie, but it turned out to be all in-game :P
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Will

Well I know the one on the site (the one with artillery fire) is CGI but I think the one from 2007 isn't.

moodflow

I used to play the original flashpoint daily for a few years with a few buddies.  Though it had plenty of bugs at first, and the graphics weren't the best, the game was (or maybe still is) the best "overall" military simulation game I've ever played.  The physics, the game play, the giant maps, vehicles, weapons, different missions, etc, were amazing.  And, the fact that there were nearly unlimited amounts of user-submitted missions, maps, vehicles, and weapons to download for free made the game even more phenomenal.

Battlefield 1942, and Battlefield 2 finally replaced it for me, but I still miss those Flashpoint days.  I hope Flashpoint 2 plays as well as Flashpoint did, but with these types of graphics.

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Moodflow, I have had the same experience.  I enjoyed making maps and scenarios for Flashpoint 1 and I hope the same interactivity comes with Flashpoint 2.  I love BF2.

What I hope is that Directx 10 becomes reality on XP.

moodflow

Quote from: calico on July 12, 2008, 03:31:45 PM
Moodflow, I have had the same experience.  I enjoyed making maps and scenarios for Flashpoint 1 and I hope the same interactivity comes with Flashpoint 2.  I love BF2.

What I hope is that Directx 10 becomes reality on XP.

Yea, I could kick MS in the nuts for making DX10 vista only.  Ya, it was a good business move on their part, but there is a bigger picture here, as they screwed their customers. 

I know Mr. Gates has now retired and doing philanthropic work.  Why not make DX10 for XP?   ;D
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

I'll either get that or just forget about PC games.  I'm not interested in playing games with MS.   ;D

Will

Inrestingly enough if anyone wants a true OFP sequel take a look at ArmA its closer to the original than OFP2 looks to be.

Seth

Quote from: moodflow on July 12, 2008, 11:40:16 AM
I used to play the original flashpoint daily for a few years with a few buddies.  Though it had plenty of bugs at first, and the graphics weren't the best, the game was (or maybe still is) the best "overall" military simulation game I've ever played.  The physics, the game play, the giant maps, vehicles, weapons, different missions, etc, were amazing.  And, the fact that there were nearly unlimited amounts of user-submitted missions, maps, vehicles, and weapons to download for free made the game even more phenomenal.

agree !