Render Crashing

Started by normhol, July 13, 2008, 04:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normhol

I am still in the experimenting stage, playing around with this and that and not really knowing what I'm doing. I am entering [I hope] a TGD, and two jpegs. This image has crashed three times and here are the settings.
1-Atmos Qual 64....Cumul Samples 128...Qual 3.45  Render Qual .75  Optimal
2-   "       "    64        "       "         64     "    1.72     "        "    .7       "
3-   "       "    64        "       "         32     "      .862   "        "    .5       "
At the first render, I got a message ..not enough virtual memory. I changed the memory from the default  to 1000, the max allowed was 1500 so I didn't go to the extreme. Perhaps this means nothing about the crashes.
I have 512 DD Ram plus 128 Ram
Anyway here goes. Obviously, I'm not too experienced, it's just a hobby for an old man.

PG

That looks to be an error generated by windows message loop. Are you using the free version or a pre purchase? I'm running the tgd to see if I can recreate it. Also which version of Windows are you using?
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Oshyan

Nice looking image. It sounds like you just don't have enough memory to render the scene, at least not without using virtual memory (hard drive) which will *severely* impact rendering time. What are the specifications of the rest of your system?

- Oshyan

normhol

I have a Pentium4,  2.8 gig,  112 gig free space on the hard drive and ATI 9600 video card. Is this what you mean?
Thanks for answering by the way.
Norm.

normhol

PG,
I have the free version as I am 77 yrs young and on a diminishing pension the way the economy is going.
I hope you can figure out the TGD. This was my first kick at fake stones and I think I see gravel in the water. I know the brown rocks are out of proportion, but they are my experimentation.

JimB

Norm, are you running Windows 2000, XP or Vista?
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

normhol

PG

I ran the render in both the latest pre purchase version and the free version and couldn't replicate the error. Oshyan's right, it's a memory error. I'd recommend going to a PC shop with your computer and asking for a memory upgrade, they'll be able to get the right type and size for you depending on the limitations of the motherboard.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

normhol

Thanks for your answer.
Norm.

Oshyan

Agreed, it seems like a memory error. Fortunately memory is very cheap right now. Hopefully you will be able to upgrade a bit. 1GB (an additional 512MB) would help a lot! If you aren't able to afford the memory upgrade you can wait until the free version is updated and try reducing the size of the subdivision cache as it may just allow you to render within your limited memory space, but it's not that likely to work.

- Oshyan

normhol

Thanks, I'm looking into more memory.
Norm.