Crater Pool UPDATE

Started by mr-miley, July 14, 2008, 10:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr-miley

Hi all

Was mucking around and came up with this. I think it needs more, but I don't know what. I don't want to use any vegetation, cause it doesn't look like any would grow up there (except the moss and pond scum) Any Ideas? This is a WIP so all C&C very welcome

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

EBAndrew

I think if you gave some displacements to the moss - kinda like the snow displacement, only... mossier - that might add something to it. But otherwise, good show!
-Andrew

mhaze

Perhaps add some industrial scrap

Mahnmut

That pond muck often is archea and things like that, make it more colourful, orange, yellow...
Make it yellowstone!
Best Regards,
Jan

rcallicotte

Some other variations in color and in displacement could make this stand out.  Perhaps some cracked ground...?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

mr-miley

Hi all, thanks for the comments  ;D

EBAndrew, I have displaced the moss to make it a bit more.... mossier, good call  :)

Mahnmut, Oranged the pond muck, and you are right, it does look better, though its a right swine to get it bright, but i'm working on it. I'm also going to tweak the scum around the edge to try to get a bit of orange into that too. Good call  ;D

mhaze, Hmmm, industrial scrap! I'm going to give it a go, see what I can come up with. Good thinking

calico. True, but I didn't want to go mad with the displacement and especially not the colour as most stone I come across (and I come across a lot, working for a geotechnical company) is rather grey and boring to look at.

Miles

inkydigit

looks toxic!
what about some sulphurous yellow crusts, and some acrid steamy vapours?

mr-miley

Inky

Yeah, I'd thought about the sulpher crusts, but I wasn't sure, as I quite liked the moss, and I don't think the 2 things would co-exist. Not unless the moss was well hard  ;D

May give it a go though. definately going to have a go with the vapours.

Miles

Mahnmut

Nice.

Maybe that will have to become two different versions,
One hot and steamy with orange mud (like the geysiers in Yellowstone for example).
This would be to hot for moss.

And another cool version with mossy moss and blue depth, maybe some more vegetation around.
And maybe an industrial waste version.
Best Regards,
Jan

mr-miley

Mahnmut

Good god, are you trying to drown me in renders?  :o   ;D

Actually, I was thinking the same (about multiple versions, that is) cause it does lend itself to different treatments

Miles

Mahnmut

Sorry,
I just assume that anyones PC is by far faster than mine.
I didn´t prepurchase because I know I couldn´t stand the time it would take my old engine to render this wonderful transparent water for example...
I had the idea once to take the same characterristical terrain and cover it in magma, ice, forrest, dunes, lakes...
It simply took to long.
Anyhow, do as you please, it just looked to me like two directions.
Best Regards,
Jan

mr-miley

Jan

I totally agree. I have had a few ideas about different treatments of this scene and I am going to get round to them.... however I suffer from terminal laziness so it may be some time  ;D

I know what you mean about having a slow PC.... I used to tear my hair out waiting for renders.... then I dumped an extra 2GB of ram in (its really cheap at the moment) and hey presto... zooming along. Well comparatively anyway  ;D

Regards

Miles