Where's the Yellow?

Started by rcallicotte, July 14, 2008, 01:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I thought I would play with some texture building to see what colors might affect what.  Can anyone tell me why the yellow isn't coming through and further make it come through without moving any of these nodes?

My reason is that I don't see why stacking these powerfractals with various colors matters.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

what happen when you put the second PF away ? is the yellow appearing ?

rcallicotte

If I disable #2 node or #3 node (counting from the top downward), no yellow gets through.  If I disable both, then yellow gets through. 

So...what is it about this that I've misunderstood for a year and a half now?  It looks like stacking PFSs by themselves doesn't matter to the color, since the last PFS is the only color that matters.

dwilson

In your #2 and #3 nodes are both high and low color active.  If they are then uncheck either the low or the high color from your #2 and #3 nodes so the color only covers up part of the yellow.

rcallicotte

That worked and I understand why.  But, why couldn't the patterns I use complement the colors from each level...or is my pattern off?  If it is off, anyone what to try it?

dwilson

The other (and better) way to do it is to use both high and low color and add another power fractal as the blend shader for your "color" power fractal.  In the blend shader power fractal make either the high or low color active and use the color offset for distribution.  I have added 2 power fractals as blend shaders to your tgd.

rcallicotte

Thanks dwilson.

I plan to look at this tonight.

Oshyan

The better way to do this is to use Surface Layers, which have built-in "breakup" and "coverage" which both help you modulate the blending of different layers above and below. Power Fractals by default will fully cover what comes before them in the node tree (assuming both High and Low colors are enabled). Power Fractals do have two colors theoretically (high and low), but this gives you less control since the same scale and seed are used for both and one is naturally the inverse of the other, so it is better to use multiple Surface Layers, even though you need more of them to get the same number of "colors".

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Thanks Oshyan.  Just as you mentioned, I tried Surface Layers (a few layers) with PFSs plugged into them.  I'm experimenting now, but I might just back the three-tiered PFSs out and use one or two instead.  I appreciate the insight.

I seem awfully slow at this.   :-\