Cloud Clips

Started by normhol, July 14, 2008, 02:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normhol

Here are two simple cloud clips that I start with and then tweak them by moving the sun around and increasing the visible disk size. It takes time because of the rendering of each change. It's fun anyway.

rcallicotte

Are these 3D?  I don't have time to check your files. 

The clouds look a bit flat.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

normhol

Yes thay are 3D. I'll take any suggestions to make them fluffier. I'm not into nodes and math.

rcallicotte

Don't need to be into the nodes and math.  Go to the File Section and do a search for the Cloud Library.  Lots of files there to learn from. 

Please put some good work for others, when you've learned enough to enjoy your own clouds and want to spread the joy.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

You need a balance between cloud depth and cloud density. if you have cloud depth at, say, 2000 then set your density to a small number like 0.0014, edge sharpness down to 2.3 to get an image like the first one here. Also using the density fractal is important for getting the output you want. By decreasing the feature scale and increasing the lead in scale I can adjust the size and distribution of clouds. On the tweaks tab is probably the most venerable of settings for clouds, the noise flavour. Here you can choose between perlin, perlin billows, perlin ridges, perlin mix 1 and perlin mix 2. These will greatly alter your clouds and are a quick shortcut to getting closer to the clouds you want. It's advisable to search these first because if you get your clouds looking kinda right but changing them to perlin ridges would make them better it's just gonna mess your clouds up.
Sorry for the low samples on these. Just used the defaults.
I rarely use the mathematical functions and even more rarely do they work.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

normhol

Thank you PG, I'll get right on it.
Norm.