Forgotten Island

Started by sjefen, July 14, 2008, 04:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

As you can see this is based on my older work "The Island". Actually.... it's the same work with only some small changes ::)

I wanted to render this one with high quality and then decided to turn the camera angle a little to the left, change the waves and plant some trees on the island. Besides.... I just bought myself a new TV and wanted to have a picture with lots of colors and in Full HD for testing :)

The lower clouds have the quality set to 2.5, but they still have some grain. I also know it need's a little more AA, but the last time I had higher settings the render crashed.

I used World Machine Basic to create the terrain heightfield and Gimp for postwork.

The render took about 15hours on a Quad 2.4GHz with 4 GB RAM.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Tangled-Universe

15 hours?? Wow, that's good!

I like this image a lot. If I remember correctly you posted this image first in black&white, isn't it?
The colors are splendid :) Nice clouds and yes they're a bit grainy and I think increasing the atmospheric sample might help some too.

The terrain looks good and I like the subtle use of populations. It doesn't distract or draw too much attention.
How did you do the snow? Favour depression effect? I like how you've managed the snow's coverage.

I think you could next time try for a bit better composition by tilting the camera a bit upwards, because the composition is almost 50/50 and therefore not really interesting.
However, I can clearly see you did this intentionally because you wanted to catch the whole reflection of the mountain in the water :)

In overall very good work and nice to see something again from you, has been a long time ago!

Martin

sjefen

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 14, 2008, 04:46:52 PMIf I remember correctly you posted this image first in black&white, isn't it?
That is correct.

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 14, 2008, 04:46:52 PMHow did you do the snow? Favour depression effect?
Correct again ;)

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 14, 2008, 04:46:52 PMI think you could next time try for a bit better composition by tilting the camera a bit upwards, because the composition is almost 50/50 and therefore not really interesting.
Thanks for the tip. I'll remember this in the future ;)

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 14, 2008, 04:46:52 PMHowever, I can clearly see you did this intentionally because you wanted to catch the whole reflection of the mountain in the water :)
Hehe.... Is it that obvious ::)

Thank you very much. We learn something every day.

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

old_blaggard

Wow, stellar lighting, coloring, and texturing!  I agree that the composition isn't fantastic, but it's more than made up for by the mood and realism of this scene.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Wonderful lighting.  Great setup.  Nice reflections and a good attempt at realism on the mountain.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Phylloxera

If I can allow a small realignment of the image more typified “panorama”, a light blow of sharpen, it seems still better to me!

lightning

I like the compostion of the image its very clear you need to tilt the camera up a little though

Seth

great one and i really would like to render something that gooood in 15 hours ^^

MacGyver

Excellent image imho :o
I like how the terrain goes up on the left almost like an exponential function and from deep black to the terrific snow. Also the stark contrast in the sky from warm to cold is amazing.
It's a pity that there are jpeg compression artifacts in the sky I think, not your fault though ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

sjefen

Thanks guys. I will tilt the camera up for the next render, but I am actually working on something else now. Been working on that for a long time, but had to take a break from it and then did a big render of this one.

Is there someone here that can point out a tutorial for Gimp on how to make frames?

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB