Rock Library

Started by rcallicotte, July 16, 2008, 10:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

After recently learning something new about Blending Shaders, I have put together some changes to some previously released Fake Stones.  Here are some of these library files updated with the new changes.  Hope you enjoy these.  Rip 'em apart and learn or just use them in your renders.

It's time for a rock library, isn't it?  Welcome to everyone to put your rocks surface TGCs and fake stone TGCs here.  Please come aboard.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

Here's an update to the 'bigger-stones' TGC.

rcallicotte

Boulder's TGC altered.  Enjoy.   ;D

rcallicotte

Changed pebbles...

moodflow

Here is a rock clip file that I've been building for a while.  At certain times, they come out looking incredible.  Other times, just marginal.  I also have other sizes I've been trying to dial in.  Unfortunately I've found its not as simple as scaling the settings up or down.

Anyway, enjoy the file.   :)

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Small Stone Clip File altered.

inkydigit

[attachthumb=#]
here is a quick and dirty test using some voronoi as displacement....have fun dissecting this!
cheers
inky

dandelO

This is a set of 8 fake stone shaders racked up to give complete coverage of a surface that you can control via a surface layer or distribution shader. The fake stones range in shape and scale from .01 meters - 1 meter, respectfully.

I've had the common problem of small, lower stones displacing the surfaces of larger stones above them for a while. This method eliminates that problem.
It is based on FrankB's suggestion of using a merge shader's 'choose by altitude - Highest (raise)' method http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3796.msg41840#msg41840 to merge 2 fake stone layers together without the bleed-through from below. A fantastic tip, thanks!

I've used this idea to the power of 7 merge shaders, combined into one surface.

For the correct way to wire this to your scene, just add a new surface layer to the end of your shaders list, uncheck apply colour and stick 'Final Merge Shader' into it's child socket(example image attatched). Now just use the surface layers distribution parameters for control.

Hope you have fun with them!

P.S: The textures here are designed for an algae-covered riverbed(as that's my latest old haunt I'm revisiting ;)), just change the 4 'stones texture' colours/displacements to suit. The scales are all good, I think, so they probably don't need much tinkering there.
The larger stones might need a little more displacement as I can see some sharp edges/corners...

[attachimg=#]

dandelO

Here's a streamlined version of the above. Just one surface layer to drop into any scene. All the settings are networked internally.

Pop it onto the end of your shader-tree between your last ground texture and your planet and just use its constraint tabs for distribution.

An entire rockbed in one surface layer, nice! ;D

mogn

It would be nice if the "Add Terrain" and "Add layer" buttom had an assign shader option, for inserting complete layers like DandelO's

dandelO

I'll second that!
An option to add a clip via a 'load from file' item in the bottom of the 'create' items context pop-outs.

I'm building up a library of preset shaders and TG operations, 'insert clipfile' is great but it would be better to have the option to add a specific item in the rightclick menus. It would obviously still be clipfiles as TG doesn't save shaders and things specificaly, but a good idea anyway in my opinion.

rcallicotte

dandelO - Great submission!  Woohoo!!!

...and inkydigit, too!!  Cool!!!

R3igN

waa.. T_T

Mine dont work..is this right?

it does not show on my terrain...

cyphyr

Not too sure but try plugging it into the Child node ...
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

dandelO

That's right, Richard. The final merge should be set as a child to a surface layer. Or, even easier, download the streamlined version in the post after my first. Then you just need to plug your shaders into the input and then its' output to the planet.