File Library for All of Us

Started by rcallicotte, July 16, 2008, 10:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

We now have a Cloud Library and a Rock Library in the File Sharing section.  These are for your best work to share with the Terragen 2 community.  I've read a lot of discussions about sharing knowledge and even writing explanations to help us all understand things better.  What better way than to show how things work with your best work?

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4443.0 - Rock Library
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3691.0 - Cloud Library

What other libraries can be have?  Terrains?  Functions?  Shaders?  Water?  Atmosphere?  Organizing this is much easier to provide what we need here.  Please participate, if you want to contribute to better renders and animations in TG2.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

DeathTwister

Ha ha Excellent Idea bro, WTG dude, bout time someone had a gre4at idea and thought /beams a smile
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

rcallicotte

Check out the Rock Library, too.

choronr

Excellent idea. This is getting organized!

rcallicotte

Since I know there are people who would like nothing to do with giving free clip files or base files from TG2 to others in what seems an indiscriminate fashion, here's my rationale.

The benefits of a public file library here on Planetside, besides the gracious opportunity to utilize disk space from Planetside, are:

1.  Learning.  To learn by example is always the best and clearest way.
2.  Amalgamation of various ways to do one thing.  How many times have you seen someone's work and wondered where they came up with the ideas to generate such a cool node network?
3.  Two heads are always better than one.  The humble willingness to combine intellects leads to the higher ground; not visa versa.
4.  True artists grow by giving, not by being stingy.

Because some people will take our work and not learn from it, but rather enhance their own fortress of "art", is no reason for us.  It is very rare when someone can take others' work and actually gain the consistent reputation of being a skilled artisan.  So let someone "steal" our ideas.  The real talent will shine.  Works like TU and Seth come through talent and skilled understanding.  This can't be faked.

DeathTwister

Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

mindsap

I'm all for it calico, but I must admit I would be more of a receiver than a contributer.
Once a King always a King but once a night is enough...

rcallicotte

Well, what do you mean by receiver?  If you can take something from the library and then learn something from it, then you can eventually create something from you've learned. 

Right?

Quote from: mindsap on July 19, 2008, 07:47:12 PM
I'm all for it calico, but I must admit I would be more of a receiver than a contributer.

Ogre

Great idea. We need to get the threads stickied so they are always on top.
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

cyphyr

Definitely a good idea, I'm in :) And please Sticky the threads too.

I don't see any problem with sharing node networks, essentially only a working methodology. Its not like it will be used in the same manners or camera shots etc as they were originally created for, but rather they will be used to enhance an entirely new piece of creativity. If someone steals an image of mine and claims it as their own this is wrong but if they are inspired by my art and/or techniques to make their own interpretation or an entirely new image then this is surely only good.

In the future when TG goes gold and the sdk is released I'm hoping someone will code a visual clip browser plugin so we could easily load and organize these files.

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

Richard - I like the idea of some sort of organization to our clip / file libraries.

Ogre and Richard - A sticky could make this easier.  What do you think Planetside?

Oshyan

I've stickied the rock and cloud threads. Are there others? This one seems to be more of a discussion rather than sharing thread.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Oshyan, the Water Library might get kinda short fast, so it's probably not necessary.  :P  But, the others, including your contributions, are great.  Thank you for setting this up.