Trying to get Reflections to work properly ~ ideas?

Started by cyphyr, July 17, 2008, 04:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Quote...just hope you all are listen to us end users and planning accordingly...

Believe me DT, we are. Your feedback is duly noted, and we're well aware of these limitations. For the time being we have more important "core" areas to focus on, but some of these things will be addressed in the future. As Jo said, TG2's object support has never been intended to be on par with more general-purpose modeling or rendering applications.

The intended workflow with complex objects is to work with external applications and composite, or use rendered out environment maps from TG2. Certainly this workflow will be much smoother and more usable once we improve the import/export capabilities. Hopefully in the long-run we'll find a good middleground with object support that takes care of the needs of the majority of user's needs, but doesn't require complex, time-consuming in-depth object-related development.

Meanwhile we'll look at the reflectivity rendering errors. Would it be possible to share this object and scene? You can send an email with attachments up to 20MB to support AT planetside.co.uk, or use a service like YouSend it. Having the object and scene in question would help a great deal in troubleshooting.

- Oshyan

DeathTwister

Hay Brother Oshyan,

Ha Aha, thanks for getting back bro and I figured you guys would be working on it either a little or allot, I  did not figure it would be on the full release coming up, but I keep knocking at that door hoping, so please forgive but to many of us, that is very important.
  Yes, and the reflection mapping issue is much more important ATM and I know it will also help tie in better later with fuller model support when PS can get to it. This makes me feel much better /Smiles.....

Hay Osh, I think I may be coming your way in next 3 Months, so will contact you if I do /bows Maybe go clubing or something.

DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Matt

Two of the bugs which are fixed in Technology Preview 5 (released today) might have caused some problems here. I would be very interested to find out how this model renders in the new version. It should render faster, at the very least.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

cyphyr

Hehe, yes I would like to try this out but I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate the break to our weekend away. I'll be back on Sunday night and I'll be able to report back then.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

cyphyr

She was very understanding ;) guess I'm cooking tonight lol

The new update certainly has addresses many of the issues I've had with the scenes I've been working on recently.

The image below is at 1000x750, smaller than I would like but theres still a way to go. I have also taken the AA and GI down a notch or two. Also the number of actual reflective textures has been dramatically reduced to only three and the glass, the red paint, the shiny chrome and the dull steel. The real test will be when I start putting a greater variety of textures back in and adding back in proper TG scene elements, rocks, clouds, populations etc.

Were so close now its painful, but in a good way ;)

Richard

ps: Oh and it renders VERY much faster, I'll try the benchmark scene later (I was rendering it in 45sec in the last build)
pps: Well I cant seem to beat the 45sec on the benchmark scene, now renders at 54sec, I guess I must have OC'd my system during the previous test, I think it was running at about 3.2Ghz, now back to a more respectable 2.7Ghz
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

DeathTwister

Oh that Boggles my mind Bro, I think this is the very best thing I have seen using Tg2 bar none and when it is done it should go to the Hall of fame if PS has one. OMG what a Masterful piece of Work bro.  It humbles me greatly /smiles......What a machine, now I have to install the new update and play later hahahaha and see all that they fixed this week :).
DT
ATOMIX Productions

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

DeathTwister

Yep it sure does.  Cool they are listening to us artists also WTG PS.
DT
ATOMIX Productions

Mandrake

Awesome render cyphyr, how'dya do the chrome?  An image map?