Bug(?) - Custom Bindings

Started by Moose, July 18, 2008, 04:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moose

Hi

Great job on the new Custom Bindings. :)

Just a really minor niggle / bug(?). I'm not able to assign anything to the network view Context click - it always seems to be RMB. Perhaps it's not meant to be assignable, but I'd love to be able to have the Tab key mapped to it if at all possible.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any way of removing extra bindings (such as when made in error) other than to edit the file directly.

Cheers again. :)

Matt

I'm sure Jo will be able to look into the bug and fix it.

As for deleting bindings, you can do this by selecting the binding in the list and pressing Del/Delete. I do think it needs a dedicated delete button in the window, though.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

As Jo has stated in another thread, assigning key presses to what are currently mouse actions is not possible at this point. I'm not sure if this will be resolved before final release, but the binding system will be made more flexible at some point in the future.

- Oshyan

Moose

Cheers - I've worked around it with a good enough alternative. :)

jo

Hi Moose,

Do you use tab for context menus in other applications? If so, what are they? When you hit tab does the context menu appear where you have the mouse cursor?

Regards,

Jo

Moose

Quote from: jo on August 01, 2008, 01:11:09 AM
Hi Moose,

Do you use tab for context menus in other applications? If so, what are they? When you hit tab does the context menu appear where you have the mouse cursor?

Regards,

Jo

Hi Jo,

Yup, I was trying to mimic Houdini's mouse setup as best I could as that's where I spend most my time.

In Houdini, there is the RMB context menu, and there is the operator chooser (similar to TG's). The operator chooser can be accessed both through an option in the RMB context menu or through the Tab key.

I was trying to set up TG so that I could use the mouse without any mod keys (like I do in Houdini) by binding the context menu to the Tab key - thus freeing up RMB solely for mouse nav. This isn't quite the same as in Houdini which only has the operator chooser assigned to Tab, but as I use TG's operator chooser part of the context menu more often than the other options within the context menu, it seemed like an acceptable compromise to have TG's context menu bound to Tab.

Incidentally, Houdini solves this problem of allowing RMB to be used for both the context menu and the mouse nav, by having the mouse nav activated with RMB drag whilst the context menu will work with RMB click - this works really well and naturally I'd like to see TG use this method too :), but I understand it may be asking too much for PS to bow to one persons whims especially when there are more pressing areas vying for attention (but you never know 'till you ask, right :)).

Oh and yeah, the operator chooser in Houdini appears where ever the mouse is when the Tab key is pressed.

If you're interested in seeing for yourself how it works in Houdini though, you can d/l the free Apprentice version - there's now a Mac build too. :)

--------------------------------------

As I'm on the subject of the operator chooser menu and flagrantly making requests, in Houdini (sorry :P), when you hit Tab to bring up the operator chooser, you can start typing the name of an operator and the operator list will filter all operators until the list is small enough that you can immediately see the one you want. This way of working is much quicker than navigating though sub menus. Is there any chance (at least in the future) that TG could work in a similar way? I understand if not. :)

Cheers

jo

Hi Moose,

Thanks for the info, something to chew over. I will download Houdini, thanks for the pointer.

There is a chance that we could have something similar to what you're describing with the operator chooser doing type selection, it sounds similar to something I've had in mind for a while. I'm not sure we'd be able to fit in before the final release though, we've pretty much frozen the feature set now.

Regards,

Jo