Cloud Tryouts

Started by rcallicotte, July 21, 2008, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

This needs some critical help.  Feel free to provide your assistance.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

I've never understood why TG2 does that weird oil on water effect on clouds. only suggestion I can make is to change the warp effect in pattern to none.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

j meyer

Cool one!I like it just the way it is.

rcallicotte

Thanks jmeyer. 

PG, do you mean those dark lines around the clouds?  I see what you mean.  I'm going to think about this one some more.

JimB

Is that not a result of the density, or maybe the fake internal scattering being too low (or too high, can't remember off the top of my head)?
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: JimB on July 22, 2008, 02:37:00 AM
Is that not a result of the density, or maybe the fake internal scattering being too low (or too high, can't remember off the top of my head)?

The fake internal scattering can contribute to this, but the best thing to try is to increase the environmental light.
If you increase the fake internal scattering too much the definition at the edges of the clouds will be lost.

rcallicotte

The EXR version (the above was the TIF version)...in all its grimy glory.

I'm working on new values...

JimB

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 22, 2008, 03:47:23 AM

The fake internal scattering can contribute to this, but the best thing to try is to increase the environmental light.
If you increase the fake internal scattering too much the definition at the edges of the clouds will be lost.

Maybe that's not a bad thing?
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

gregsandor

This could make a really hot looking lava flow if you could get it to flow along a channel, change the color, and add glow.

CGartist

very nice :D:D if u look carefully u can see faces in the clouds lol

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: JimB on July 22, 2008, 06:25:14 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 22, 2008, 03:47:23 AM

Maybe that's not a bad thing?

With loss of definition at the edges of the clouds I mean that the smaller whispy details get lost. Though the cloud already lack some of this.

cyphyr

Have you tried putting the exr through Photomatrix? Its a great HDR image manipulation program, better than Photoshop CS2 (dont know about CS3)
http://www.hdrsoft.com/
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Tangled-Universe

You can achieve better results with EXR indeed, however it's obvious that this image won't benefit that much from EXR because the essential lighting is just off. So you can trick and treat a lot with EXR but the result Calico is after, I think, can't be achieved by just running the EXR through photoshop or photomatix.

rcallicotte

Yeah, I used PhotoMatix and went to extremes for fun.

Here is a sample of what I'm working on now.  I'm messing with Quality on cloud settings and Environment Light as well as Fake Internal Scattering (in very small amounts).  I also increased the buoyancy in the Density Fractal for the clouds closest to the ground.  I made other changes I'll explain later.  But, tell me what you think -

MacGyver

And I thought it would get bigger when I click on it ;D
Looks promising so far, I'm always keen on your clouds as you know ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine