JET CAR WIP

Started by cyphyr, July 21, 2008, 06:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Acceleration cache set to none seems to do the trick, with seriously increased render times; it also seems to have sorted out the shading on the desert grasses as they now seem to desaturate realistically into the distance. 18 hours rendering at 1200 x 900 and only halfway there.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Quote from: cyphyr on July 26, 2008, 10:51:23 AM
Acceleration cache set to none seems to do the trick, with seriously increased render times; it also seems to have sorted out the shading on the desert grasses as they now seem to desaturate realistically into the distance. 18 hours rendering at 1200 x 900 and only halfway there.
Richard

It's interesting that the acceleration cache seems to have affected the saturation of the plants. Is that the *only* thing you changed?

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

We've heard this before...about the acceleration cache affecting other things besides the clouds.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

Quote from: cyphyr on July 25, 2008, 03:55:36 PM

Lastly I'm not too happy about the shading on the desert grass plant (homemade). It dose not de-saturate properly with distance. Could I make a distance shader run the saturation in some way? Don't know about that one.

Hey Richard,

I always use a distance shader to both darken and de-saturate vegetation in the distance. For the attached (test) image, I have plugged a multiply color function (with a distance shader and a get diffuse color node) into the color function of each default shader of the grass models. I think that should give you the effect you're looking for.

Cheers,
Frank

[attachimg=#]

cyphyr

Thanks I was working on similar lines using two images, one darker and less saturated, the other normal and blending between them using two distance shaders, one of them inverted. I think your method looks neater ;)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

rcallicotte

Thanks for the ideas, Frank.  This looks good.

cyphyr

Well here it is at last ... I've got so tired with this one, seems like I've been working on nothing else for months. I'm fairly happy with most of the image, the cloud cover, the ground textures and the car itself. The only part I'm not to happy about now is the general composition, I really would like the car to take up more of the bottom of the image but if I tilt the camera or change its properties in any way I loose the sky ...

Render time 16h near as damit,
2/2
GI on

C&C very welcome, do your worst ... ;)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

otakar

Nothing bad to say, it's just wonderful. I love the path, looks very natural and the colors in the image are well chosen.

RArcher

All told this is fantastic.  I can definitely see what you are saying about the composition and it is very tricky.  On one hand with the way you have it now, there is a great sense of depth to the image, but the car is not the focus.  If you made the car more of the focus, you would lose some of the depth.

If you were to revisit this in the future, I would suggest a bit more variety of plant life (a few different types and styles of bushes/cacti to break things up a little).  The clouds are pretty nice, but if you could get a bit more definition and structure then they would be even better.  For me, the lightning isn't really adding too much to the image, you could potentially try to create a dust storm underneath the big clouds to add interest instead of the lightning.

Your ground surfaces are very good, and the voronoi is a very nice touch. The car as has been mentioned before is incredible!  You really did a great job with it.

rcallicotte

This reminds me of that game "Heart of Darkness", for some reason I'm not sure about exactly.  Maybe it's the opening scene and the lightning and dark swirl. [edit - oh yeah...and that cool vehicle  ;D ]

Fine work.

bri

Really nice. I like the terrain and clouds, and that model came out really nice.  :)

Mr_Lamppost

I have been watching this for a while and the final result is excellent.

I think your composition problem comes from the fact that you are trying to do two things with one scene.  I would separate the two; do a nice view of the car, one uncomplicated by the background, no need to even see the horizon in this one.  Then do a nice render of the scene, as you already have an image showing off the detail on the car you can pick a camera position and angle for this one that uses the car as part of the overall scene.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.