Talented Terragen Artist Needed!

Started by Schemmer, July 21, 2008, 10:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schemmer

Hey all,

So I happen to be one of those game editors.  I can create maps for games like Wolfenstein, Jedi Knight II, and Quake pretty well.  The one thing I can't do is make a skybox, which is a set of six images that create a nice visual surrounding.  That's where you guys come in.  I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me out here.
     Making a skybox isn't hard at all.  The hard part is making the terrain with the editor, which should come easy for you experienced ones.  This quick tutorial will show you how to make a skybox: http://www.outpt.co.uk/tut011.php.  I just need six 1024x1024 images - that's it.
    Are you interested?  Want to take on the challenge, or do you feel you need to do a good deed?  If so, here's the description of the environment I need.  I need a thick, nocturnal jungle setting with thunderheads above.  It's a pretty ambiguous description, but I suppose that leaves open the window of creativity.

Thanks,
Schemmer

Tangled-Universe

Perhaps you can show some images which resemble your wishes to some extend?

Since there's pretty much work involved in designing a decent scene and rendering 6 sides, is there any reward or just pride and honour :P I guess this is not for a gamestudio but for personal use?

Seth

agree with T-U, 6 1024x1024 images are a lot of render time, so can you show us some pics you already like and precise what is the reward for this job ;)

rcallicotte

More info would be nice.  What sorts of terrain do you want?  Is there pay?  What game would this be for?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Schemmer

I didn't know that 1024x1024 took so much time, but you guys are the experts.  I suppose a 512x512 would do fine or perhaps a 960x960 (I would just like you more).
To answer your questions, this is for Jedi Knight II and there is no pay but bragging rights and glory to be earned (and a big thanks from me).
As for the description, I don't think I want to be any more detailed.  Just need a thick jungle at night with storm clouds above.  Thanks for showing interest!  Hope you can help.  Sorry to cut you short, but I gotta go to work right now.

Seth

glory's good ^^
if i have some free time, i'll try something :)
i mean noctural jungle under storm is a challenge guys ;)

edit : errr... when do you want it ?

Schemmer

Dude you are awesome.  Thanks.
I'll probably be able to use it by Saturday since I finish my college summer courses by Friday.  That's when I get my free time. :P As for an absolute deadline, I really don't have one.  I could have it anytime next week and still be just as satisfied.
If you have any more questions, let me know.

matrix2003

Whoa,  I have never been one to use the "Rolling On Floor Laughing" cliche before,
but I believe this could possible be a text book example of proper usage.   ;D
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Seth

Next week ?!
lol...
that's pretty much a short deadline ^^
maybe some other guys are interested...

rcallicotte

No pay.  Just for fun.  Short timeline.  Hmmm...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Schemmer

Haha sorry if I'm not explaining some technical jargon well.  Here's the wikipedia definition of a skybox if you want an extensive one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skybox_%28video_games%29  You guys are providing me with the six images for each of the faces of the skyBOX.  The player in the game is inside this box, and the images are seamless, giving a perception of a true 3D world.
This is a sample of what a skybox is: http://opensg.vrsource.org/trac/attachment/wiki/Tutorial/OpenSG1/Windows/skybox.png?format=raw.  If you fold it up into a cube like I think we all did at least once in grade school, you've created the principle of the skybox.
Here's a shot of the skybox in action when playing Jedi Knight 2: http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce4_ti_4200/images/jk2_screenshot_1s.jpg The skybox encases the entire world.  You can't tell where the cube's faces are, because the images are seamless.

If anybody wants to compete with seth93 here, that's cool with me.  He may or may not have the free time to do it like he said, so if you want to help, the more the merrier!  I really don't know how long this takes, so I'll just give a deadline for anyone who wants to participate.  I need it before August 21st.

red_planet

I will refrain from .........

I must refrain from.........

I must... I simply must .......  ;D

I would be very nasty to not refrain....

So refrain I must !!

Rgds

Chris

Schemmer

It would've been better if you'd refrained from posting that.

SeerBlue

I think what is meant is, a high quality render of a good size, could run to an awful lot of hours, per render. Some renders here have broken 100 hrs, and the size and quality, objects, atmosphere for a jungle scene with storm clouds could do that easily. Add in the hours many of the artists here spend to build and perfect a scene, welllllll.
SeerBlue