Started by inkydigit, July 22, 2008, 04:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkydigit

http://lucbianco.free.fr/
the latest render is truly awesome!
an inspiration indeed!

rcallicotte

Luc's work is awesome. 

Wish he would share his cloud secrets...

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

crazycoder

wow, that is just amazing.
Perhaps he will tell you if you email him.

EBAndrew

Sometimes, I think he doesn't even exist. Like, maybe he's some rogue AI that, instead of being all hell-bent on removing it's masters from the pages of history, is instead intent on creating wonderful artistic masterpieces. That could very well be what makes him rogue - that he focuses all his time and processing power on visual arts, and not whatever insidious uses he was originally programmed for.

Really, it's the only logical conclusion to how he is so masterful in every aspect of the program he displays.
-Andrew

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: inkydigit on July 22, 2008, 04:27:32 AM
an inspiration indeed!

Ghehe...did you live under a (fake) stone the last 8 years or so ;D
Luc is a pioneer in TG-renders.

The reason he is so good is first of all pure talent and artistic skill/feeling. Secondly he gets his hands on alpha and beta's of software way before many other people can/do. TG for example, but also World-Machine. So he's always a few steps ahead of us.
But, like I said, in the first place it is talent which already makes him being a few steps ahead of us.

His latest render looks cool, but to his standards the grass simply sucks. Way too noizy and lack of detail.
However, the lighting, which I think is the primary focus, is really fantastic.

Quote from: crazycoder on July 22, 2008, 08:01:42 AM
wow, that is just amazing.
Perhaps he will tell you if you email him.

lol ;D

He's very very reluctant to share information. Making beautiful images is his only interest...that's something he literally said once.
It's his own good right of course.

inkydigit

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 23, 2008, 06:03:17 AM
Quote from: inkydigit on July 22, 2008, 04:27:32 AM
an inspiration indeed!

Ghehe...did you live under a (fake) stone the last 8 years or so ;D
Luc is a pioneer in TG-renders.

<snip>......
no of course not...I was merely pointing you in the direction of his latest image posting, incase some people here had not seen it yet....it was posted to his site on 19th July....
:)

Tangled-Universe

I knew you weren't.....just kidding ;D

lightning

to be honest i have seen better from luc personally i like his early work the best i agree with TU about the grass it looks very poor but then again he is a master of terragen 2 and i have seen him do things with terragen like no other so i have enormous respect for him :)

bobbystahr

[quote

He's very very reluctant to share information. Making beautiful images is his only interest...that's something he literally said once.
It's his own good right of course.
[/quote]

All well and good but it does little for the fine community we're part of if he maintains the attitude of "Mine...alll Mine...my precious..." I always supposed, and have been supported in this supposition on another site/another app, that beta testers were, on the one hand, the 'hook' to get more folks interested and in my mind holding all your discoveries close to the vest like they were a precious ring strikes me as selfish...sorry if that's a hard word but it is how I personally, as a community oriented person, feels.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Seth

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 27, 2008, 12:34:56 PM
I always supposed, and have been supported in this supposition on another site/another app, that beta testers were, on the one hand, the 'hook' to get more folks interested

he, by posting his renders, gave me the envy to use TG2 (he is not the only one)...
i understand how you feel but why should he distribute his terragenic's research to everybody ?
i hope i'll be able to use this software like he does and i hope i will be able to do so without his files ;)
i am sad as a lot of us that he doesn't participate more but i remeber the kind of critics he gets in here by some users (not technical critics but "artistic" oriented ones) and i also understand why he doesn't come anymore ;D

rcallicotte

Interesting.  The basic reason we come here is to learn, for the most part.  How is learning his techniques or learning from a small clip file of Luc's procedures for clouds (for example) going to make him worse?  I'll never understand that. 

If Rembrandt could have taught me a special paint stroke of his or a special combination of paints, could this make me a Rembrandt?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: seth93 on July 27, 2008, 01:56:09 PM

he, by posting his renders, gave me the envy to use TG2 (he is not the only one)...
i understand how you feel but why should he distribute his terragenic's research to everybody ?
i hope i'll be able to use this software like he does and i hope i will be able to do so without his files ;)
i am sad as a lot of us that he doesn't participate more but i remeber the kind of critics he gets in here by some users (not technical critics but "artistic" oriented ones) and i also understand why he doesn't come anymore ;D

Yes indeed, I know about that too.
Even though he might not be so generous but his work still makes me envy to learn and practice more and more...like you also.

Quote from: calico on July 27, 2008, 03:31:18 PM
Interesting.  The basic reason we come here is to learn, for the most part.  How is learning his techniques or learning from a small clip file of Luc's procedures for clouds (for example) going to make him worse?  I'll never understand that. 

If Rembrandt could have taught me a special paint stroke of his or a special combination of paints, could this make me a Rembrandt?

I understand what you mean and I think I can imagine a little how and why he feels reluctant to do this. Like my latest work it costs very much time and effort to sort things out, to test techniques and to make dozens and dozens of test-renders. Without a doubt he's probably way quicker than me in creating new images, but it still means a lot of time and effort to make something good.
So after finishing and posting the work it makes me at least feel a bit hesitating to post complete .tgd's or clips from the eyecatching parts of the image with great chance to see it being applied in dozens of images later on by other people. Of course, you won't use it for that purpose and everybody's saying that. Don't get me wrong here.
It's just like finishing your final thesis for your graduation, you're also not going to share for reproduction with a future graduate. Just to make a (silly, lol) example.

So in conclusion, I can imagine why by looking a bit at myself. I could also be more generous in posting clips and .tgd's but I find it more useful to give directions. Not vague directions, but quite detailled.
I dare to say I do this well enough.
Certainly I agree with you to some extend and you're right with your rembrandt-reasoning, but I hope I've been able to show a bit of the other side.

Martin

rcallicotte

TU, this is exactly what I'm saying (as you are) - all our hard work shouldn't be tossed to everyone like free steaks.  So, I'll be clearer (a kick I'm on lately  ;D ) - I don't mean sharing whole TGDs that take as much work as a Rembrandt finished painting given to one of his students to fake as the student's own (perfect analogy, I think).  But, rather sharing pieces of the TGD in a way to teach others cool ways to do things by sharing TGCs taken from the TGD.  Sharing small pieces of our work by sharing TGCs and explaining our understanding is all I'm advocating.  Brush strokes.  Techniques.  The how-to.

I agree with your thesis example.  It's dead-on. 

In this way, by sharing our techiques and using TGCs to illustrate, the libraries will grow and so will our understanding and our creativity can flourish.  Look at all we have learned from Volker's example.

moodflow

First off, Luc is a TG2 cyborg!  He's atleast a few seasons ahead of the rest of us.

As for sharing files, I tend to agree with TU, and its a difficult subject.

I think giving back to the community is essential.  However, I spend countless hours researching and testing new techniques, all on my own time and money, and it can be difficult and frustrating at times, just like a job.  Granted, I do enjoy myself, but if I simply give away everything I create, then others don't have to do anything but simply use my files on their work - which will also generate very similar work to my own (and no extra effort on their part).  I feel this is somewhat unfair in a way.

Thats why I feel that giving a good explanation and maybe a shot of the nodes (for techniques that are difficult to put into words) is the best policy here, as it allows others to generate their own "ways" of doing the technique.  The work may end up looking similar, but not nearly so.  Every now and then, I think giving away an exact clip file is not a problem, just not every time.

I feel Luc is probably taking this same approach.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music