Bucket seams

Started by nikita, July 22, 2008, 12:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikita

I'm getting visible seams between the buckets in my current render.
[attach=0]
It seems to be limited to areas with a lot of lighting calculation going on(?)

Here is the tgd including a pretty large image map: http://nkdev.de/misc/tiling.rar

PG

Did your render complete? I've just finished rendering it with the settings left as they are and don't seem to have the issue. It may be that the bucket was dropped from the heap as TG moved onto the next bucket. Total guess that but it explains why my render had no issues. Here's the render.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

@PG - Why is your render more mottled / blurry than nikita's?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

I haven't got a clue to  be honest. the atmosphere samples are through the roof. 192. the cloud samples are 490

Edit: I just noticed the grass isn't rendered either. nikita must've changed some things to test before posting.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

rcallicotte

Interesting.  These two don't look like the render came from the same file...I think you might be right.

Tangled-Universe

I'm pretty sure the quality settings are different. The second image has way more grain and less color also.
Could this problem also has to do with my problem described here?
--> http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4231.msg47129#msg47129

nikita

I removed stuff that doesn't affect the bug. In particular the tree that has caused problems before, two layers water and reflective stuff all over the place. This allows faster rendering = faster testing, removes some potential sources of the problem and hopefully makes finding the bug easier.
The quality of the clouds is bad because I only left the Quick Render node in with no anti aliasing and detail at 0.5 which pretty much destroys the benefit you get from the high number of samples.

Forgot to mention: I use 4 threads and I did let the render complete - the former might be the reason why you don't see the problem. Although I think I do see lines in your render.. but that's hard to tell with those compression artifacts.
Here's what I get (as a png, not lossless, but preserves the edges which jpeg is pretty bad at):
[attach=0]

@TU Now that you mention it. I get similar problems with grass if the displacement moves parts of it across tile borders. That's a problem with displacement and tiles (there's a thread about this somewhere around here but I couldn't find it).. I don't know if it's the same problem as yours.

nikita

Ok, I think I found it... it's probably not a bug - it's the acceleration cache.
Setting it to none seems to fix the problem, at least for the file posted above - at the cost of a render time ten times as long as with optimal acceleration.

rcallicotte

Ahhh.  Acceleration cache...and that can be so handy...

Oshyan

It is a bug... in the acceleration cache. ;) But it's good there's a workaround, and it only seems to show up in particularly demanding situations.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on July 23, 2008, 01:49:58 AM
It is a bug... in the acceleration cache. ;) But it's good there's a workaround, and it only seems to show up in particularly demanding situations.

- Oshyan

Could this also be related to my problem I stated above here?

nikita

It is a bug... in the acceleration cache. ;) But it's good there's a workaround
It takes ten times longer so I don't know if you can call this a workaround. That's like your car doesn't start anymore and your workaround is walking 20km to university every day.  ;D
I'll try cropping the problematic areas and only render them without caching.  :)
Thank god I bought a quad core last week.  8)

Oshyan

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 23, 2008, 07:25:41 AM

- Oshyan

Not likely. The acceleration cache should only affect the clouds and your problem has to do with object rendering, if it's the one I think you're referring to.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on July 23, 2008, 10:20:23 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on July 23, 2008, 07:25:41 AM

- Oshyan

Not likely. The acceleration cache should only affect the clouds and your problem has to do with object rendering, if it's the one I think you're referring to.

- Oshyan

That's correct, thanks!
I only thought this because of the similarity in problems.