Why is the same brick different tone on terrain versus model?

Started by gregsandor, July 25, 2008, 02:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsandor

Why is the same brick different tone on terrain versus model?  What settings should I use to match them?

rcallicotte

It looks like your angle of light is playing a part in the difference.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

gregsandor

old_blaggard

Have you checked the default shader in the model to make sure that the diffuse color is .5 and not something else?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

gregsandor

It was lower; I've now modified it to diffuse 1, ambient 0, and specular 1.  I'll start there and use trial and error 'til I strike the balance.

old_blaggard

I think to match it with the image map shader you should use .5 diffuse color....
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

What I meant is that the vertical bricks will naturally have some shading that the street that is open to the full bright sun will not.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

gregsandor

Look at the foundation in the first photo -- there are horizontal bricks on the model next to the ones on the terrain; they receive the same light.

gregsandor

Quote from: old_blaggard on July 25, 2008, 04:12:10 PM
I think to match it with the image map shader you should use .5 diffuse color....

I'll set that now to .5; it seemed that the terrain tex was so bright that the model version needed a white base...

gregsandor

Diffuse is at .5 in the .mtl definition -- and still the model is washed out compared to the terrain shader.

old_blaggard

Hmm, that's quite odd.  Maybe you should try applying the image to the terrain with a default shader as well to see if the Image map shader treats it differently.  Also, you can continue to fool with the diffuse color, although that doesn't seem to be the answer anymore.  I have to admit that I'm rather confused about what's causing this.  Is there any layer underneath the terrain shader that could be causing it to be lighter?

Oshyan

What is your "Convert to Linear" option in your Image Map Shader set to and what is your conversion gamma? Try adjusting these. Or better, try using the same type of node to place images for both.

- Oshyan

gregsandor

Quote from: old_blaggard on July 25, 2008, 05:25:52 PM
... applying the image to the terrain with a default shader as well to see if the Image map shader treats it differently. 

This, plus a few hours of sleep and a cup of coffee solved it.   Now to test on the larger buildings with full terrain shaders.

I rebuilt from scratch, not altering the default color settings -- linear is checked, gamma at 2.2.

What do these settings mean:

1. Smooth interpolation
2. Unpremultiply
3. Convert to Linear
4. Data is linear