Testing, I need the Brian Trust..

Started by Mandrake, August 05, 2008, 08:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandrake

Never post images here because quiet frankly, I don't feel I'm up to your caliper..
I tend to take obj's in a direction that TG3 was might handle...I Can only hope.

Anyways, Ogre was my best bet over at Ashundar, ML maybe, but bothe are.. Well it's summer time..

Let's get to it.

The no frills Honda (test # 2) could have a cone with a light source, to create a semi circle, in front of the car.
That would give a good impression of lights facing forward..

How do I accomplish the same with the Mini?

Ignore this test with the high beams a meter off... the car

But those lights look very strange, pointing directly at me like that..
Granted some of the light would.... But Your eye would tend to focus on what's being pointed at the No Frills Honda.. And there might be more reflection off said crap Honda..

Any calculus wizards out there that see node structures to complete this task?
Or do I have to switch from global illumination to Ambient Occlusion, can't even find settings for that, in this build. Opps see it now under enviro light..Read a bit about it in Oshyan's explanation, for setting up a default type SART..

Or am I just overlooking some easy? Any help from the Brain Trust..

gregsandor

You don't need calculus for this.  You need to put those light sources inside the headlamp assembly so it reflects the light off its chrome interior and also casts its shadow.  You're seeing the lights apparently pointing at you because they're not restricted and are thus reflecting off the pavement evenly.  Make a real headlamp and they'll be fine.

rcallicotte

This is still cool and a cool idea.  Keep on it. 

I'm not sure about the lighting, though.  Seems to me there might be some sophisticated ways to do this, which is my way of saying that there are probably a lot of ways this could be done.  Gregsandor's idea could work, if  you want to model a headlamp.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mr_Lamppost

I think the only way to do it is to model the headlight and place the light source inside the model.  Although that is not without its problems:  See this thread.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3215.0

I am sure there was mention of TG2 supporting spot lights ages ago.  I don't remember if it was a yes or no and I have had no success in finding it again.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Oshyan

Different types of light sources may be implemented in the future but not before final release.

- Oshyan

Mr_Lamppost

There you go.  Still no idea if it's a Yes or a No   ;D

My guess is No for now.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Oshyan