Forum User Gallery

Started by MeltingIce, January 13, 2007, 03:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3DGuy

Quote from: Dark Fire on February 11, 2007, 03:10:19 PM
Quote from: MeltingIce on February 07, 2007, 02:47:58 PM
That is a good idea, except how would people be able to have a username so that they could identify each picture to be their own?
I'm still working on the security problems posed by having a user system powered by a file-based database. There are a number of potential solutions, but I'm not yet sure which is best.
Using just files for a database system is... well not the smartest thing IMHO. It'll work for small things, but when it grows and you have a need for relational data please use a proper database system.

Having said that, just move the files to a directory the user can't reach (i.e. out of the www directory. Then have the PHP system read those files.

Dark Fire

Quote from: MeltingIce on February 11, 2007, 04:03:32 PM
What about just using .htaccess rules?
As I said before, there are a number of potential solutions. I am currently investigating which one is best. However, using .htaccess rules is looking like the best solution for me at the moment.

Quote from: 3DGuy on February 11, 2007, 04:14:06 PM
Quote from: Dark Fire on February 11, 2007, 03:10:19 PM
Quote from: MeltingIce on February 07, 2007, 02:47:58 PM
That is a good idea, except how would people be able to have a username so that they could identify each picture to be their own?
I'm still working on the security problems posed by having a user system powered by a file-based database. There are a number of potential solutions, but I'm not yet sure which is best.
Using just files for a database system is... well not the smartest thing IMHO. It'll work for small things, but when it grows and you have a need for relational data please use a proper database system.

Having said that, just move the files to a directory the user can't reach (i.e. out of the www directory. Then have the PHP system read those files.
It's definitely not the smartest thing, but I am far too lazy to use a proper database (more PHP code is required). Besides, I have found out that cleaning out spam is very easy with a file-based database. For example, it takes me about 10 seconds to delete all of the comments on posts on my blog that I know are abused by bots. However, backing up a proper database system is easier...

old_blaggard

I would be interested to see what you end up doing.  I thought that file-based was definitely the way to go, but it seems like database-based also has its merits.  Gah... I  hate complications :P.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Dark Fire

There is never a perfect way to do something with a computer. Unfortunately, that's a fact that nobody's going to change.

3DGuy

Quote from: Dark Fire on February 12, 2007, 12:23:51 PM
It's definitely not the smartest thing, but I am far too lazy to use a proper database (more PHP code is required). Besides, I have found out that cleaning out spam is very easy with a file-based database. For example, it takes me about 10 seconds to delete all of the comments on posts on my blog that I know are abused by bots. However, backing up a proper database system is easier...

Actually, with a proper database you need less code ;) It takes 1 line of code to retrieve data from multiple tables into a single dataset, and maybe 5 to generate a complete HTML page from that. whereas with flat files you'll need a page of code. With a good front-end for your database deleting spam is just as simple.

Dark Fire

Quote from: 3DGuy on February 12, 2007, 02:03:21 PM
It takes 1 line of code to retrieve data from multiple tables into a single dataset, and maybe 5 to generate a complete HTML page from that.
I've never really understood how to do that. I prefer my method because I understand it very well, and it doesn't need a page of code - my comment submission system only needs 850 bytes of code, and my comments pages (like this one) are only powered by 3.16KB of code.

ProjectX

uhhh... what happened to all the images?

Most of them are broken links

Dark Fire

Quote from: ProjectX on February 19, 2007, 10:01:04 AM
uhhh... what happened to all the images?

Most of them are broken links
Forget the 'most' bit. I think all of the thumbnails of the user-submitted images in the gallery are broken, but the links to the originals still work. I think the problem is with this file: http://www.meltingice.net/usergallery/generators/thumbnail.php

buzzzzz

Well that Gallery didn't last long?

twistednoodle

Damn that was such a good idea!  I liked that you could look at the image and the owner could give you a bit of an idea how they created the image - shame, lets hope it comes back! 8)
I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!

Will

He will fix it don't worry guys.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

buzzzzz

Hey it's fixed! Thanks Ryan! ;D

MeltingIce

Whoa what happened, I didn't do anything lol.  Must have been related to me messing around with my php.ini file.  I had no clue the gallery was down, sorry about that guys  :P

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

Dark Fire

Hehe...Silly MeltingIce. It is always hard, when you have such a large website, to be sure that everything is working...

MeltingIce

Quote from: Dark Fire on February 20, 2007, 03:59:29 PM
Hehe...Silly MeltingIce. It is always hard, when you have such a large website, to be sure that everything is working...
Yea tell me about it.  To be honest, sometimes I forget about certain parts of my website.  And out of nowhere I'll think, oh wow... I should probably check up on that part to make sure its still working fine.  I have my blog, designpaths, designpaths forums, terragen users gallery, tgd repository, meltingice hd wallpapers, and now the meltingice file system thingy.  I probably forgot about something too lol
EDIT: I was right, I forgot about a wiki I have running on my server.  Not too many people go there anymore though, I just keep it up in case anyone is feeling nostalgic.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277