Road to Qandahar

Started by schmeerlap, August 03, 2008, 07:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schmeerlap

The featured rock outcrop/stack in this scene was done using a Power Fractal masked by an Image Map, and then Redirect displacement shaders (X and Z) applied to it. I found it was really fiddly getting its outline shape as I wanted. What I may try next (if it's possible) is to create a stack's outline structure using metabols (Bryce) or metablobs (Vue) as I think I'll have more control over the structure; save it as a obj, and import it into Terragen, and then apply displacement and shading. Or maybe someone can tell me how to more easily create isolated rock stacks using Terragen? The camel train was Photoshopped in to give the scene more focus.
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Mahnmut

Impressing Formation, Schmeerlap!
I don´t know if it fits your needs, but I think you can use a crater shader and set a negative value for the depth. That´s not my idea, but I can´t remember who first used it.
Best regards,
Jan

cyphyr

Good composition very good atmospheric lighting. I'm not so sure about the composited camel train though, dose it really add to the scene that much? Plenty here on the negative crater idea, works well.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

inkydigit

great work!...you could import a terrain that you have made in worldmachine or geocontrol etc?

schmeerlap

Yeh, Jan, Richard, that's good advice. In fact I began experimenting with a negative crater last night, using surface layers for altitude control of displacements on the crater/hump. I've never attempted a generated heightfield that tight before, Inky, but I'm sure your right as its being an alternative method. Yes, Richard, that's probably a weakness of mine; embellishing scenes with figures/creatures. However, (getting defensive now) I do think the camels fit the scene in this case as they readily idetify that straight strip of left to right sand as an ancient trade route, and therefore give the scene a historical/cultural perspective. [Nearly set my bullshit alarm off there].

John.
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Mahnmut

I also like the camels, they do not only add a sense of time in sense of history, but also one of scale.
Although they apear a bit greenish and a slight bit to big for me. Colour could be my monitor.
Best Regards,
Jan

Phylloxera

Beautiful work, good terrain, surfaces and atmo ! The caravan with the camels seem to me unsuited (question of taste!)

j meyer

Hi,
very nice!To me it looks very painterly and i like therefore.

Seth

very very good render !
colours, atmo, shape of the big rock...
i really like this one !

rcallicotte

This is excellent art.  Good work.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mr_Lamppost

Nice render, I look forward to seeing what you do with the inverted crater.

My vote is for the camels. 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.