Costal Crater WIP

Started by darthvader, August 07, 2008, 01:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthvader

I'm taking a break from working on my planet and this is what I've thrown together. I would like to thank Lightning for his large ash tree. I need to work on the steep crater face to get a more realistic rock surface and I also need to add some clouds. As always C&C are appreciated.

Detail: .75
AA: 10
GI: 2/2

[attachthumb=#]

rcallicotte

Pretty nice, but the water is too greenish green around the shoreline.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

moodflow

Looking pretty good here!  I agree about the water.  Looks like blue dye was added to it, but its kinda cool at the same time.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

darthvader

Yeah the green water is a mistake left over from when this scene was originaly going to be a tropical island. I'll post an update when I can, most likely tomorrow, since my computer froze up with about 20 seconds to go on my most recent version.

schmeerlap

I like the way the sea fades into mist/sky. Maybe the rocks at the waters edge could be darker? Great work.
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

darthvader

Here is the next one; I moved the camera down a bit, fixed the water to make it look more natural, and made the X-frog pine trees taller. I think I'mm going to go back to the wider image format and make the rocks darker as suggested by Schmeerlap.

[attachimg=#]

rcallicotte

Nice.  Now all we need is to build my hut in that cove at the upper left.   ;D

darthvader

Well Calico, here is a better look at that little cove. The image is on the dark side so I'll have to woek on the lighting setup. Also, I don't really like the layout of Lightning's bushes so I will work on that too. I do like the fake stones setup, particularly the big stone on the right. I might go back to the wide shot but I also think this new view has some potential, what do you all think?

[attachimg=#]

rcallicotte

I like this a lot!  It has potential for even other things you might do.  First thing that comes to mind is some sort of house or shack or cabin in that cove.  But, that's just me. 

MacGyver

What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Oshyan

Definitely prefer the new POV - much more interesting. I agree the bushes could use a little work, more variety. The unrocky terrain could also be a bit rougher IMO. Very nice though.

- Oshyan